PDA

View Full Version : 8v Camshafts (possibly 1600cc) - Any Experts Out There?

novarally
09-08-12, 06:25 PM
The engine from my hillclimb Nova is being stripped for inspection.

I always understood that it had a standard 1600cc camshaft in it.

It's one of the areas where an improvement might be gained with a different profile (more duration as it's got a turbo).

Anyway, I looked at the code on the end of the camshaft, just to see what it's got currently.

There's a code number 9263 stamped at the end, but also F7 and F11 - these last 2 codes are badly engraved by hand, they are almost certainly not original manufacturer markings.

I can't find anything on Google to match those codes, so does anyone have any idea what it is?

Thanks.

fearless
09-08-12, 07:06 PM
Might be worth giving Martin Bowyer a ring (if you can get him to pick the phone up) - He knows most things about Vauxhall engines and is very helpful

garyc
09-08-12, 08:16 PM
Hi Colin, you can get kent to measure the spec for you and then go from there...

novarally
09-08-12, 08:25 PM
Hi Colin, you can get kent to measure the spec for you and then go from there...

Hi Gary.

So Kent will do a one-off custom cam? Any idea on price?

I was going to approach Newman Cams, but I'd heard a number of horror stories about them so was reluctant.

jonn
09-08-12, 08:42 PM
is there a GM stamp on the cam? cant find anything with them numbers. this site is good for part numbers.
http://opeloem.com/vauxhall/nova_1983_1992/engine_and_clutch/e16se_c16se_c16nz_petrol_engines/camshaft_and_case.html

MK999
09-08-12, 08:57 PM
I was going to approach Newman Cams, but I'd heard a number of horror stories about them so was reluctant.

Newmans aren't the best profile wise either, they're very good for a budget upgrade and do work well, but yours deserves better! Give Matt at Cat Cams a call, their cams are a work of art and I'm pretty sure they do custom profiles.

Novasport
09-08-12, 10:03 PM
Piper were going to copy my Irmscher 108 cam for me. Might be worth trying them

mowgli
09-08-12, 10:10 PM
colin, even if its an original gm cam, can you guarantee its not been reground in the past?

novarally
09-08-12, 10:13 PM
colin, even if its an original gm cam, can you guarantee its not been reground in the past?

No, there are certainly signs it's been played with at some point.

I think all I can do is ring around Kent/Piper/Cat and see what they can do for me.

mowgli
09-08-12, 10:22 PM
the genuine gte cams simply have a single letter to id them

ring them all, i'd imagine theres a lot of thought needed to make a decent turbo cam

garyc
10-08-12, 04:12 PM
Colin. Kent will measure it so you know what it is. You can go from there to decide the cam. I am pretty sure they will grind what you need, I know a lot of the stock rod cams tend to be one off specials.