PDA

View Full Version : water leaking in

marc69
06-08-12, 11:49 PM
My 1984 Nova is leaking water in again. My dad put in a new battery box a few years ago and this leaked as he didn't put filler etc in. I then finished it off.

This year has been particularily wet and after three months of almost continual rain, the front drivers side is wet again.

I tested today with a hose in the battery compartment left running. Eventually a few drops come in through the cable ports for accelerator etc.

I assume the battery compartment has a tiny leak and after months of build up this becomes the wet i find.

What is the best stuff to seal the battery compartment, more filler or should I use quality sealant?

N.B. Passenger side is dry!

Novasport
06-08-12, 11:51 PM
Windscreen OK, drivers door membrane OK and door drains clear?

marc69
07-08-12, 12:02 AM
yes, i checked them, i actually saw water slowly seeping in the rubbers for the pedals with my torch, so that is related to the firewall/bulkhead?

marc69
16-08-12, 12:32 PM
I have used talcum powder to trace it. It is coming in from the front bottom of the door seal.
I have changed the door seal but it is still coming in from the same place?

Novasport
16-08-12, 08:30 PM
Door membranes not sealing and blocked drain holes in doors can give the impression that the door seal is leaking. Take the door panel and membrane off carefully, clear any blocked drain holes and re-seal the membrane or relace it if it is torn or split.