PDA

View Full Version : AST2 Cam in c14nz?

DuBsZ
06-08-12, 09:29 PM
Basically, if i dont sell the lump im considering using the kent cam so questions are basically..
Will the ast2 kent cam fit in the c14nz specification wize and would it run ok after being set up?
Also, as one is peg and one is slot dizzy..what dizzy would i have to run on the engine? and what car could i get this out of?
Finally, could the engine be wired up to the 12st loom or would i have to make the c14nz one match up?
Overall basically, is it possible and would it run right?

mowgli
06-08-12, 09:56 PM
no such thing as a c12st.

c14nz is an spi so it needs a peg drive to run the spi dizzy if you still plan to use the spi as the injector triggers off the dizzy too.

it won't need setting up in an spi as such, cos the lambda sensor will straighten most things out, its just a matter of timing it up right

so if you are planning a carb setup, then the 12st loom is fine

but if you are planning an spi setup, then you need the spi loom

simple really

DuBsZ
06-08-12, 10:15 PM
you know what i mean! 12st! lol.
Yeah planning on running carb, the pierburg 1b1 and just adjust the mixture until i get something like a 2e3.
So would the lift and duration be better than a standard 1.4 cam? as ive been told the lifters wouldnt be pushed as much as the lobes are shorter? so wouldnt get as much fuel equalling less power?
Both dizzys are not the same as the camshaft drive so would i just use one with the same drive off something like an astra or cavalier?
sorry for the silly questions just trying to work out which would fit..

John
06-08-12, 10:15 PM
although i bet it won't run very well in a c14nz.........

DuBsZ
06-08-12, 10:19 PM
anyone actually done this or just going off theory?

mowgli
06-08-12, 10:22 PM
look. the c14nz has square ports. and the spi manifold is crapper than a big crap thing.. so to fit a carb, you'd need to fit a decent head.

you could fit the 1.2 top end to the 1.4 bottom end & run the 1.2 carb, dizzy etc, but the std carb probably won't cope with some lairy cam's demands.

John
06-08-12, 10:33 PM
anyone actually done this or just going off theory?

iirc Adam fitted a kent carb cam to his spi, he took it out and fitted a gte one :)