PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing tollerances and interference fit importance

Iain
06-08-12, 08:20 PM
Bit of a problem with my front wheelbearings. I'm using the Audi/VW larger bearing, Cav hub and machined Nova knuckle.

I had the knuckles (hub carriers) machined out based on the QH/FAG bearings I provided the machinist. One has had some play in since fitting, potentially caused by a loose hubnut.

I've gone to fit a new bearing (not QH/FAG) and found I can slide it in and out with my fingers! Measurements show it's maybe 0.05mm or so smaller outer diameter than the original bearing. QH/FAG bearing feels quite a nice snug fit.

Suggestions?! I surely can't keep buying bearings until one feels like it's a nice interference fit?

Benn
06-08-12, 08:49 PM
I'd sure all bearing like that should be a press fit. All the cars i've ever worked on have been.

Iain
06-08-12, 09:28 PM
Was wondering if some sort of loctite bearing retainer would be a bodge or not.

Benn
06-08-12, 09:32 PM
I don't think i'd wanna mess about with wheel bearings. You went with the Vw stuff for a stronger set up...

mowgli
06-08-12, 09:53 PM
loctite do a bearing retainer compound, you will be able to bond it in, but how long it lasts is another thing.

it looks like your man might have took a tad too much out of the hub.

Iain
06-08-12, 10:15 PM
Old bearing fits in nice and snug so I think it must be a tolerance thing. I could try another bearing from the same place as before? Figured its held in with circlips so the interference fit is just to stop it spinning??

I should say it only slides about freely with wd40 there's a bit of resistance without

John
06-08-12, 10:17 PM
yep it needs to be interference fit to stop it spinning iain. Can you not get a bearing like what you originally fitted?

mowgli
06-08-12, 10:20 PM
bearings have to be a tight fit, or the outer race runs on the housing & wheels fly off.

Iain
07-08-12, 08:37 AM
Not ideal then lol

I'll order a couple of the ones I bought before and hope they're from a similar batch/tolerance.