PDA

View Full Version : leaking doors

novalew
05-08-12, 12:43 AM
i was in my car while it was raining today and with the lack of doorcards i noticed a considerable amount of rain running down inside the door running down the runner.

surely this is not right?

it was raining pretty hard

TeddyThom
05-08-12, 01:22 AM
Might be the rubber under the window, the bits that sit either side of the window right at the bottom.

novalew
05-08-12, 08:48 AM
is it a replace job? if so where would you het these from these days?

Keif
05-08-12, 09:03 AM
i was in my car while it was raining today and with the lack of doorcards i noticed a considerable amount of rain running down inside the door running down the runner.

surely this is not right?

it was raining pretty hard

Doors are NOT watertight. They are designed to let water run through them and drain out the drainage holes at the bottom (that's why the bottom of the doors rust, water sits inside and doesn't drain away).

So yes it's right! So don't replace anything (because it's just be the same)

Spudly
05-08-12, 11:00 AM
As Keif says, theyre supposed to do that, thats what the water drain holes are for in the bottom of the door, and also why ist supposed to have the membrane behind the doorcard, as a way of keeping moisture from reaching the doorcard itself!

If youre really worried then strip your card off and clean all the crud from the inside of your door, this will allow water to drain more easily, but a light coat of some rust preventative will be needed other wise your doors will just rust out a million times quicker lol

Iain
05-08-12, 12:16 PM
It might be supposed to but it's not very nice lol I think the main leaking point is behind the door handles (these don't look watertight), and where the horizontal rubber meets the vertical bar and quarterlight rubber. A blob of silicone there might help

paul james
05-08-12, 12:42 PM
If you think water running through the doors is bad, think about all the water running through the scuttle panel, past the battery tray, down inside the inner wings, then out where the wings bolt to the shell!