PDA

View Full Version : ***Security_HELP***

Barn
02-08-03, 12:22 AM
Guys and girls,
Just bought a mint sr....basically, wot should i do so that no - one nicks it?
Simple things that won't cost much?
Until I get an alarm...!
Please help coz I'm well fcukin paranoid @ the mo...Thanks

dave.gsi
02-08-03, 12:26 AM
disklock...........?80 and its going nowhere

Ben (lurk75)
02-08-03, 12:39 AM
disklock...........?80 and its going nowhere

Well not for ?20 minutes anyhow, they are the best visual/oppurtunist bye. Were also only ?50 at Billing as well!!!

dave.gsi
02-08-03, 12:47 AM
the only reason i bought one was because it'll withstand an attack for 20 odd minutes. i'm yet to meet a thief with big enough balls to take one on :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
02-08-03, 01:09 AM
they are awkward to work around- but if its man made is man breakable as well. There is only a certain amount that any lock can take.

The type of people who can get round them the easiest are more likely to be stealing Porche's than Nova's.

They can slow people down more than some cat 1 alarms.

DazK
02-08-03, 01:28 AM
when my SR was on the road some1 had a go at nickin it .. so i took the coil/dizzy lead of at night .. wrapped speaker wire round the + and the - on the horn ( so it came on and stuck on when the ignition went on) :lol: and fitted a flashing red LED .. didnt cost me anything either nicked the LED from the scrappy :lol: that should do the trick if ur planning on gettin some proper security soon 8)

Fester
02-08-03, 02:22 AM
the disklok should be in your line up, but not your only defence

?Marty?
02-08-03, 02:49 AM
Get a snap off boss kit (good excuse for a fancy steering wheel).
And a thatcham cat 1 alarm and immobiliser.

If you get one from GAP, they'll do it on finance if you can't afford the whole lot, and if you car gets nicked you get money back and etc.

Ben (lurk75)
02-08-03, 05:39 PM
If you get one from GAP, they'll do it on finance if you can't afford the whole lot, and if you car gets nicked you get money back and etc.

Yeah i rated GAP until i removed my dash and seen how the alarm had been fitted- Muppets.

?Marty?
02-08-03, 06:27 PM
Their payment options, prices and convenience of having stuff fitted anywhere you want seems good, as do their guarantees.

I guess it depends on the individual doing the fitting, tho i have heard a lot of bad things about them lately - anyone else have any comments?

I guess with things like alarms, the fitters may assume that since you're paying to have it done, you're clueless about stuff like that, so will do a rush job with things like 'hiding the wires/quality of connection' if it is out of sight.

Once it's fitted and working, and you get your certificate for the insurance co, you can re-fit it yourself. Tho what's the point, if you've paid a so-called professional to do it in the first place.

Ben (lurk75)
02-08-03, 06:55 PM
Most are independent from the head office and just get 3 jobs a day, when they are finished they are done for the day.

I found wires threaded through bits of the dash and they were all stretched through with no chance of slack to move things around. The avtual immobiliser unit not bolted down but just pushed in the air vent.

Like you said its annoying when you can do it yourself but think no i want it done properly and they dont do that.

Was tempted to call out the VSIB inspectors.

ade
03-08-03, 12:08 AM
for quick deterant just get a bog standard but very loud self fit alarm for the time being and a disk lock or snap on steering wheel

While theyre fannying about trying to get the ruddy steering lock off the alarm will alert all passers by.

Also - fit an internal alarm - somewhere under the dash - you can get absolutely deafening ones that run off 12v supply (response alarms) - small but jesus you'd never sit in a car with it going off!

8)

Then when you have the cash, delock, cat 1 total closure alarm.

Ade

Ste_Nova
03-08-03, 12:15 PM
yup thats what i had ?20 cheap nasty alarm... but fitted so tight and hidden that it was hard to shut up.... p.s. don't take the wires anywhere near the steering coloum

Barn
03-08-03, 04:30 PM
stars guys,
got a disclock, have been taking the dizzy/coil lead off aswel. Where can i get one of those response alarm things? The really load fcukers?

Thanks ( again )

Chris LR
03-08-03, 04:33 PM
If you can, look out for something called a Master Blaster 32...

Whooo... are you talkin loud!