PDA

View Full Version : random camber angle

dan23
01-08-12, 09:48 PM
fitted my coilovers they have the adjustable top mounts that fit under the turret an enable you to angle the camber

while standing an looking at the car both wheels seem straight an inline but if you roll the car approx 3 car widths the drives side wheel will suddenly camber inwards by an inch or two causing the tyre to rub the adjuster yet the passanger side remains straight
if i roll the car back the wheel then appears straight again:eek:

what have i done wrong there are no markings on the strut tops but they both appear to be fitted the same

mowgli
01-08-12, 10:08 PM
buckled or badly mounted rim??

some bolts not done up properly??

maybe the drive has a hump. low spot or similar & the wheel is going up?

GRUNT 16V
01-08-12, 11:28 PM
As above sounds like its loose somewhere

dan23
02-08-12, 09:35 PM
nothing is loose
it doesnt do it every time i d say around 1 in 5 times it will suddenly do it , it did it yesterday but was fine today
i think the problem lies in the adjustable top mount as they allow you to alter the camber its spooky when it happens the bottom of the wheel points inwards as if its been drove into a kerb roll it a few feet back an it straghtens its self up again

burgo
02-08-12, 09:43 PM
Do you mean camber or toe?

Plug
03-08-12, 08:54 AM
What coilovers?

Do they have an elongated top whole where the knuckle bolts to for camber adjustment?

Something sounds loose, or broken. Wheel bearings all ok? Just a thought

dan23
18-08-12, 02:45 PM
it only did it once the coilovers were fitted
i ve tried to get a pic to explain but its not very clear

these coilovers are fitted http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1882/img2505sm.jpg

this wheel is ok http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/5906/photo1765.jpg

now look carefully at this wheel the top of the wheel is twisting inwards http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/576/photo1766d.jpg

there are two small slots in the top mount i ve mounted them both the same way (maybe i should rotate the mount) you can see the slots in this pic
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9861/photo1768.jpg

mowgli
18-08-12, 03:54 PM
the problem we have is that if a wheel rotates. for it to go in & out will happen on one single rotation, then go back to where it was...

as its over about 3 rotations, are you doing this with the steering lock on or off???

when you fit any suspension components that alter the geometry this much, you need to get them properly realigned afterwards..

the tracking will most likely be way out, as will the camber, so it could be simply grabbing as you push it forward.

have you had it realigned yet??

dan23
18-08-12, 05:18 PM
steering lock off
no i havent had it realigned i simply replaced my shocks with the coil overs an thought it would be i ok( i know the tracking will be out but didnt expect the camber to be so drastic they it would be undriveable)

is there anyway diy method to realign it
i must just put my shocks back on an sell the coil overs

mowgli
18-08-12, 06:47 PM
with the steering lock on, please try the same thing, rolling it forward... it won't move anything like so much..

you can get a thingy off eBay to do the camber, its a magnetic spirit level.. it gets it close enough..

as for tracking, £30 will get you a decent job done... then you end up with low suspension & it handling right..

there is a gunsons tracking thing that is also fairly cheap off eBay

for a very basic tracking, you could just get a tape measure out, lock the steering straight, and measure to a centre point on the fronot panel from each wheel rim.. we do it on the scania trucks if we change a track rod end, and it works ok but the level of accuracy is nowhere near as fussy as on a car.

Jon_nova1
18-08-12, 09:26 PM
i'd say something isn't tightened properly, when you have the elongated holes some people actually weld washers in place because they need to be so tight to stop the camber going back its just easier that way,although yours may not have elongated holes so it would be something else

dan23
19-08-12, 09:14 AM
thank you
is there a guide on here how to set up the camber
the holes arent elongated but the top mounts move up an down as well as around so one the cars off the jack an the shock takes the weight the top mount angle changes

Iain
19-08-12, 09:18 AM
Have you missed a centralising washer or rubber ring in the top mount so that's sliding about causing your dodgy geometry then?

dan23
19-08-12, 09:28 AM
Have you missed a centralising washer or rubber ring in the top mount so that's sliding about causing your dodgy geometry then?

i bought the suspension off here it came to me with the top mount already fitted i assumed they were meant to move?
where should the washer or ring be fitted

Iain
19-08-12, 09:40 AM
It should twist and bend a bit on the rubber but not move. Strip it down and post pics of each bit

Mike
19-08-12, 09:53 AM
As said, top mount should not be able to move up/down with suspension assembly off car!

mowgli
19-08-12, 12:52 PM
people, its not been properly aligned. the wheel was most likely toeing out & dragging.

until it has been properly set up, there is no point discussing it.

Iain
20-08-12, 10:29 AM
Alignment sounds like a waste of money if there's a large amount of visible play in the topmounts!

dan23
21-08-12, 09:51 PM
i got them off here covered approx 200mile so they must have worked
i ll put my old shocks back on an strip the coil overs down i wouldnt say they is a large amount of play but there is up an down movement but the top mount feels like its on a bearing so is the up an down movement normal
never had coil overs before so i m unsure