PDA

View Full Version : Are braided hose's really worth it?

Mazz
30-07-12, 07:27 PM
As above basically, are they really worth the extra money? I've a slight slit in one of my original (I assume) rubber ones, so its need replacing, but with which type?

I assume the Goodridge braided ones are ok?

Plug
30-07-12, 07:30 PM
I've got braided hoses on mine with 256mm and they feel better than with rubbers

turbojolt
30-07-12, 07:36 PM
its not helpfull i know, but i was going to post this up the other day as i cant fine a clear cut answer on google.

Southie
30-07-12, 07:36 PM
I upgraded on my old Nova and definately noticed the difference, less flex so you get a better feel of the brakes... worth getting IMO Mazz.

Edit: Mine were Goodridge btw.

Edd
30-07-12, 07:37 PM
Goodridge here

IMO you can feel the difference

paul james
30-07-12, 07:41 PM
I think if you need to replace something broken, replace it with something better than standard if you can.

scott.parker
30-07-12, 07:43 PM
100% theres a better positive brake feel Mazz, specially on an XE car on track, as when the rubber ones get hot/warm fluid in they start to get more soft and expand, Ive seen some get bubble type blisters in, causing you spongy brake fade etc, combine them with good pads and fluid you will notice a good increase in braking IMO.

Graeme
30-07-12, 07:48 PM
Worth it IMO

Mike
30-07-12, 07:56 PM
Aye, worth the money for what your actually getting. Standard ones are what, £30 a pair? Extra £20 or so for something that you know will outlive the car.

Spend the extra £5 or so & get stainless line with stainless end fittings as the zinc coated ends (Ive found anyway) only lasted a few months of winter before they start to turn.

Stuart
30-07-12, 09:19 PM
As a product for lifetime durability, you cannot fault the concept, but I'd only change to them if I was dropping the fluid and doing other brake related work at the same time to justify going under the car.... on their own I'd never ever bother unless there was a failure.

As for 'feeling a massive difference' I will put money on it being the NEW brake fluid going in that made 99.9% of the feeling change and the other 0.1% change was the fact you had just change the lines and mentally they HAVE to be better.

If a 'rubbber' hose can swell/flex enough to be noticeable then the damn thing is going to explode ffs.

scott.parker
30-07-12, 09:21 PM

If a 'rubbber' hose can swell/flex enough to be noticeable then the damn thing is going to explode ffs.

Thats Fords for you! lol

Southie
30-07-12, 09:22 PM
That's a yes then Stuart lol

Stuart
30-07-12, 09:24 PM
It is a yes, but not as a standalone mod to expect braking distances to be halved and to feel like an F1 driver pretending you can feel the exact fluid pressure etc lol

Lewis.
30-07-12, 09:30 PM
I have to agree with Stuart on this one, chances are that most of you are replacing very old hoses, and similarly aged fluid, so just replacing with new rubber hoses and fresh fluid will make a noticeable difference. However I do have Goodrich's on mine, but onloy because the originals were split, and these look better lol

scott.parker
30-07-12, 09:33 PM
Mazz uses his XE as a fast road/track car, and lets face it, if your going on track its is better to have pattern rubber one's as there cheep, or stainless braided ones?

Mazz
30-07-12, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys..

but I'd only change to them if I was dropping the fluid and doing other brake related work at the same time to justify going under the car....

Thats exactly my situation, I have to change one, so was looking at whether its worth the money upgrading.

Stuart
30-07-12, 09:43 PM
Mazz uses his XE as a fast road/track car, and lets face it, if your going on track its is better to have pattern rubber one's as there cheep, or stainless braided ones?

I'd be willing to put good money on a driver doing a 'blind' test not being able to tell if they are new rubber hoses or new braided hoses on the car... granted its only 50/50 so some of the time it will be a lucky guess lol New cars (mostly) don't come with braided hoses so they must still work fine ;)

Connor
30-07-12, 09:48 PM
I agree with stuart, wouldnt make a huge difference imo, but if yours is damaged then for the price difference it makes sense to upgrade, as its hardly a break the bank mod (well since last time i looked lol )

Mazz
30-07-12, 09:54 PM
My local parts man has come up trumps (giggle) again, so i'll be collecting them tomorrow, thanks John :)

Braided wins, seeing as i've got to replace one anyway..

turbojolt
30-07-12, 10:07 PM
sorry to sound stupid, but you cant clamp braided hoses can you? and if not what can you do instead?

John
30-07-12, 10:15 PM
:)

tj why do you need to clamp them?

Stuart
30-07-12, 10:17 PM
Brake fluid is £3/Litre.... who cares about clamping lol

scott.parker
30-07-12, 10:27 PM
Oh, do share the parts love then John??

Andy
30-07-12, 10:28 PM
Insurance is well cheaper with braided hoses

Connor
30-07-12, 10:37 PM
^Mine was lol

Mike
30-07-12, 10:41 PM
^Mine was lol

Im gonna fit two sets to mine then :)

GRUNT 16V
31-07-12, 09:00 AM
well worth the hassle of fitting them !! do it

mowgli
31-07-12, 09:41 AM
putting a full set of original spec ones on with fresh fluid would astound most nova owners, compared to 20 years of wear & tear.
the decent braided ones do offer more inbuilt strength, due to them having an extra set of wires, but the actual extra braking is probably only a couple of percent, but that would be noticeable.

Jack
31-07-12, 01:19 PM
Can't say I really noticed that much a difference on mine, but thats with V6 calipers.

John
31-07-12, 01:28 PM
Oh, do share the parts love then John??

lol, I had a new set I don't need, so offered them up :)

Stuart
31-07-12, 04:46 PM
putting a full set of original spec ones on with fresh fluid would astound most nova owners, compared to 20 years of wear & tear.
the decent braided ones do offer more inbuilt strength, due to them having an extra set of wires, but the actual extra braking is probably only a couple of percent, but that would be noticeable.

I'm willing to put cash down to say its much less than 1% 'improvement' over a new rubber hose.... If its was numbers of % different then the OEM's would all use braided lines for a near free improvement.

Lewis.
31-07-12, 08:02 PM
sorry to sound stupid, but you cant clamp braided hoses can you? and if not what can you do instead?

No you can't clamp them, If it's a female 10mm end then screw in a bleed nipple, if it's a male end, them male a blank using a female union, and a short piece of pipe flared in the uniona nd folded over at the other. If it's a banjo then use a nut and bolt with 2 copper washers

Southie
31-07-12, 08:13 PM
Can't say I really noticed that much a difference on mine, but thats with V6 calipers.

You need to use the car more to notice the difference lol

Jack
31-07-12, 08:19 PM
Can't, its currently in a gazillion pieces. Might put the calipers on the cav actually