PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.0 doesnt like being under load

Steve
23-07-12, 11:43 PM
Ok, an interesting fault developed with the nova a little while ago, i'm gonna get another engine for it but would be nice to get it running properly for now.

It was off the road for 10 years before i got it, its had a new fuel tank, fuel pump and the carb has been completely stripped down and re-built. Also had new points and a condensor and it was re timed when the carb was setup.

It got low on petrol and start hesitating like it was gonna cut out so i went and put some fuel in it, it was fine till it got to under 1/4 tank and did the same thing, so again I put some more fuel in it but this time its not so happy, its starts and idles perfectly, i drive it 100 yards and its fine then all of a sudden you can't put the engine under any load, it coughs and splutters and will barely drive. You can just about drive it back on the lightest of throttle. Don't know what it could be, occassionally when its in traffic for a while you get a slight misfire but soon clears out when you rev it.

As I say its fine idling and for the first few yards, we thought maybe it was bad petrol but ive drained it and put fresh in and thats not it.

marc69
24-07-12, 12:00 AM
accelerator pump (in carb) could be perished with lying?

Dirt in a jet in tthe carb, propbably the shorter of the two that can be taken out with the air ceaner removed.

Worn distributor, a lot of wobble on the cam.

Faulty component, condensor/ points/plugs/ leads etc.

I am afriad with old technology there is a bbit of trial and error about it, but, if the tank was run low and as you haven't said there is a new fuel filter, I assume dirt is in the carb.

Steve
24-07-12, 02:07 PM
There was a filter on with the old tank but this got blocked up very quickly, so when I fitted the new tank I ran it without one. Then when it started playing up again I fitted a new one.

marc69
24-07-12, 04:51 PM
If it is dirt then the carb will need cleaning, firstly remove the three jets on the top chack and clean them, if you are lucky the dirt will be in them and save you stripping the carb.