PDA

View Full Version : race marshalling, anybody do it?

Asa-James
23-07-12, 10:26 PM
i'm going to Oulton Park this weekend for a "taster session" as a track marshall, and if all goes well i'll hopefully be a regular there (tis only down the road)

anybody else on here do it?

Spudly
23-07-12, 10:28 PM
Boffer and Mk2Rich both do rally marshalling regularly and have a right laugh doing it, they get to blast round the tracks/stages in their own cars too :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
24-07-12, 10:07 AM
Expect long days in all conditions, having to wait til longer after you would have gone home as a spectator lol

Stuart
24-07-12, 10:29 AM
I did it once at Carwent (spelling) rally.... sodding tedious day out :(

Jack
24-07-12, 12:05 PM
Hayley's dad does it at brands iirc

Mike
24-07-12, 05:15 PM
Ive done a lot of rallies, never done a proper track though.

TeddyThom
24-07-12, 08:26 PM
I used to work at Buckmore Park Kart Circuit, so yeah I used to marshall, p!ss easy work, once you've learnt the radio calls and the flags. Only downsider was when the two stroke karts were there, and they were on circuit for like 8/9 hours, whatever the weather. Some of the crashes were epic (no one seriously hurt) but the two stroke smoke gave me such a headache :/

Hayley
24-07-12, 10:01 PM
My dad has been a marshall at Brands since I was a toddler. He has worked his way up the ranks and now he is chief pits and he gets picked to marshall for teams on the F1 at silverstone every year.

He also got sent out to Dubai all expenses paid a few years back to help train their marshalls! :eek:

He loves it. But it takes up a ridiculous amount of his time. I dont think I could ever be that dedicated that you dont actually get paid to do.

Connor
24-07-12, 10:05 PM
I've done the training for it (as part of my uni course) But i dont think i could bring myself to do it, the marshals always look bored lol.
I'd say go for it if you enjoy it, but not for me.

swedge
25-07-12, 06:37 AM
Free food though lol

pottersrebel
25-07-12, 08:00 PM
The most important job at any race meeting in my opinion. Ive never done it before but with being an amateur racer myself i know how important a job they play. Basically without the marshalls there wouldnt be any racing at any circuit. Let us know how you get on mate, there always after marshalls at buxton raceway if ur local enough and with being a short oval track the job is imo a bit more involved

Asa-James
25-07-12, 08:50 PM
near knutsford, so not a million miles away, and one of the lads from work occasionally goes banger racing up there :)

pottersrebel
25-07-12, 08:57 PM
Get yourself up there and if 1300 saloon stocks are on come over for a chat Im #27 a green and blue corsa painted (as bubba says) like the scooby doo mystery machine, dont quote me on this but i also think the marshalls get some sort of pay for their days work