PDA

View Full Version : Replacing outer CV boot

Mieran
22-07-12, 11:52 PM
Just noticed that my outer CV has a split boot.

I've never done one before, is there a technique on how to remove the CV joint?

Cheers

novacabrio
22-07-12, 11:57 PM
Get the shaft off and bring it here one day

Will F
23-07-12, 10:43 AM
Much easier if you take the shaft off the car - the hardest part is finding the circlip in all the grease!

swedge
23-07-12, 03:12 PM
Much easier if you take the shaft off the car - the hardest part is finding the circlip in all the grease!

air comppressor gun thing

point it at it

turn away like a little girl

all done lol

paul james
23-07-12, 03:35 PM
Its easy enough to do, theres a nice guide for it with plenty of photos on this site: http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/maintenance/cv_boot/cv_boot.htm

8valve-craig
23-07-12, 03:41 PM
Piece of cake if you hold the shaft in a vice, Otherwise it can be a bit of a 3 handed job and really frustrating.

swedge
23-07-12, 03:47 PM
Piece of cake if you hold the shaft in a vice, Otherwise it can be a bit of a 3 handed job and really frustrating.

aye having a vice makes it alot easier or a big G clamp to the bench

EwanG
23-07-12, 08:29 PM
You could buy a stretched boot kit. I fitted one of these to my golf 4 years ago and its still ok. Check this one out on ebay there is even a video showing you how easy it is. Copy and paste this into the ebay UNIVERSAL STRETCH STRETCHY CV JOINT BOOT & FITTING CONE KIT REPLACE SPLIT GAITER

Iain
23-07-12, 08:37 PM
Really easy job. Having it in a vice is nice but be prepared to lose a bit of gearbox oil if you remove it fully.

Open up the circlip and pull it off, sometimes needs a few attempts or a wiggle/tap but it's all relatively easy.

Mieran
28-07-12, 10:37 PM
Done this today, was really easy tbh only took a few mins.

Thanks for all the help