PDA

View Full Version : Quick rack question

SimonTW
22-07-12, 09:38 PM
I fitted a quick rack this weekend (second hand, brand unknown)

When driving I was getting alot of play, almost a slip or clunk through the steering wheel, I tightend the tensioner on the rack to remove the play and it made the steering very stiff. After a bit of playing I have removed the play/clunk and the wheel moves fairly freely. It isn't self centring very well though when cornering. Is this normal. I know the steering will be heavier but I'm not 100% sure what the characteristics should be like.

Should it still be light and very free when driving or is what i'm experiencing normal?

Thanks in advance!

Jon_nova1
22-07-12, 09:59 PM
It should be heavier as you reducing the ratios in it, as for not centreing well thats probably the tracking due to changing the rack

Graeme
22-07-12, 10:05 PM
Personally I'd just get one off a epas corsa and swap the rack ends over, the tracking shouldn't be a million miles out

SimonTW
23-07-12, 08:56 AM
The alignment should be okay as I have set it back up using good old fashioned axle stands, string and ruler. I'm still getting an slip somewhere. If I turn the wheel to manoeuvre at a standstill I can feel a slip/clunk still. Then when I set off the steering wheel is off at an angle. I have had someone turn the wheel left to right while I look down into the bay and the only thing I can see is the rack itself shifting left to right slightly taking up the slack before turning force is transfered to the wheels. I have ordered some Poly rack mounts to see if it will sort it as the 28 year old rack mounts are probably a bit soft by now. If that doesn't cure it I'm going sell it try the Corsa one! Cheers for the info Graeme!

Graeme
23-07-12, 09:01 AM
No problem it should have a bit of orange paint, on the rack where the tensioner is if it's a epas one

SimonTW
23-07-12, 09:04 AM
Ah right, so the standard manual and eps ones are going to physically look the same but the internal ratios will be different?

Will F
23-07-12, 10:42 AM
It will be the nylon bush - my friend had one go and it would centre when driving, which felt VERY odd!
The rack will need stripping down unfortunately!

SimonTW
23-07-12, 10:55 AM
The plastic bush pressed into the rack casing? I'm not having much luck with those. Melted one out of the rack I had coated, chopped another one up and broke it while fitting it into the powdercoated rack and now this one potentially. Cheers Will! :thumb:

Will F
24-07-12, 09:07 AM
Thats the one! They are like cheese!

SimonTW
24-07-12, 09:13 AM
Well I have a replacement second hand rack sorted and also a reconditioned Corsa one on order too. I'll fit the recon one for now and rebuild the second hand one. I might see if the local machine shop could make a brass bush for me to press into one of my many old casings.