PDA

View Full Version : coilover clearance on alessios

the.masked.unit
20-07-12, 11:25 AM
right, ive fitted some 16" alessios to my nova which look fantastic but due to how low the car is im catching out a little on decent sized bumps. currently fitted is a gmax 60mm lowering kit which was already on the car when i bought it. to combat this im going to fit coilovers so i can tweak the ride height to exact specs but from previous history with nova arch/wheel clearance id like to know if anyone has a similar setup and would the front adjuster ring/spring clear a set of alessios with 195/40/16 tyres on? ive had it before where when you have limited arch space (bmw front) the wheel hits the coilover adjuster due to the extra width and i cant see the nova on these wheels having buckets of space (its quite close already). the backs catch slightly as they do aswell so....

its either raise it a little or switch my new refurbed wheels for some tri spokes that will clear as im not chopping or rolling the arches as theyre mint and would like to keep them that way. im also only in the game for oem looking wheels and alessios are the only ones for me in the aftermarket range that suit the nova without going ott. any help appreciated guys :thumb:

cheers :)

Markd89
20-07-12, 11:33 AM
On coilovers you can removed the helper spring and it will give it enough clearance, depending on what make of coilover you want to get, another thing to think about is getting some wheel spacers so clear the strut and to clear the arch.

( i have some coilovers in forsale section with the helper spring removed if you wanted a pic )

the.masked.unit
20-07-12, 12:36 PM
cheers mate. the outer arches are my problem on both front and rear hence having no option other than to wind the suspension up or change the wheels. coilys look good but i also need adjustable rears to get a bit more clearance dude which arent available seperate. do you not have the adjustable rear spring and collar? ill then sell off my gmax kit so someone with smaller wheels lol

Markd89
20-07-12, 02:03 PM
i havent got the rear springs unforunatley but i do have the adjuster cups which are brand new and i can chuck them in if you want them

the.masked.unit
20-07-12, 02:53 PM
what is the external dimension / diameter on the thread of the adjuster mate? ill see if someone can supply an open ended spring. cheers

eddgsiturbo
27-07-12, 06:30 PM
i have fully adjustable avo's front and rear with allessios and have no probs catchin on arches or suspension, but i had a mate with same set up and wheels just rubbed arches with same size tyres. my shell was a gsi and his wasnt so dunno if made the same way. mine had original arches on and wernt rolled at all.

8valve-craig
27-07-12, 07:19 PM
I have fully adjustable Avo's and have no end of trouble. It depends what tyre you want to run really. For me T1r's in 45/15 were fine, but as soon as i fit 888's or dunlop direzza's for the track thats where the trouble starts.

Wheels at the moment which are fine are Oz Sparco's, ET49 6x15 with 195/50/15 toyo 888's. I had to get some 7" springs for the front as the 8" springs pressed into the sidewall, and a 5mm spacer made the tyre catch the arch.

Rears are on a 3mm spacer with the arch lip ground back to just shy of the spot welds, and i dont have trouble any more.

I also had to grind the spring seat flat on the front to get a few more mm.

Good luck.

Rears. Very close, but only with the axle hanging, it gets better when on the floor

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/smith9051/Nova%20on%20bike%20carbs/Photo0391.jpg

Fronts, on 7" springs with the flat edge. But will be going 6" soon so i can get the front lower. Get in touch if you want the details of who supplys my springs. He's very reasonable at about £35 per pair.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/smith9051/Nova%20on%20bike%20carbs/Photo031-1.jpg

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/smith9051/Nova%20on%20bike%20carbs/Photo032-2.jpg

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/smith9051/Nova%20on%20bike%20carbs/Photo035.jpg