PDA

View Full Version : Another track day.

marc69
18-07-12, 10:59 PM
I had another day driving my Nova round knockhill on Sunday. It was a reverse track, a lot faster.

No major issues, the first session one of the marshallls said I was leaking fuel out of my filler on hard rights, I took five litres out (borrowed jerry can from some nice guys from Newcastle) and put some tape behing the rubber in the filler. End of problem.

During the second session I was pushing a lot farther with the wee 1400 and was often over 7000rpm before changing gear. The engine was sounding a bit noisey and by the time the seesion finished, driving back it was really tappety...oops, i was a little concerned as I had to do 2 hours drive all the way home and didn't really want my day cut short.

Well after some advice that i had probably just over heated the oil, let it sit for an hour and it was fine phew! That prompted me to watch the rev counter more carefully.

In the afternoon, on one corner there was a huge bang from the back of the car, but it still drove ok so I finished that seesion and looked afterwards to see I had broken my rear spring. A chap in an Elise said he was behind me and saw me go on three wheels a few times, well if I did I never noticed and I am not convinced my 1.4 would manage that.

Overall it was another good day and all I had was a broken spring so again I was very pleased with the reliability. Although the 1.4 is slow in comparison to the other cars there, it is still fun, and on the corners it is a bit more competitive.

Here is a pic as I drove in.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/69marc/Photo436.jpg

Iain
19-07-12, 08:49 AM
Nice one glad nothing broke too bad! Its not unlikely it went on 3 people have told me mine does too. Look in to some better and thicker oil to reduce temperature thinning the oil too much and maybe get a temp and pressure gauge?

marc69
19-07-12, 08:19 PM
Yes, I didn't want to go as far as an oil cooler but have put in an oil pressure sender and the GSi clocks but perhaps I should watch my revving!

Seriously regarding the 3 wheels? I know that for cornering most other cars brake earlier than I would and are slower on the bends but unfortunately on the straights I loose!

Iain
19-07-12, 08:24 PM
Yeah a couple of guys that have followed me on track have said it lifts the rear inside, and on a couple of tracks I was having issues with one of the rears locking up under braking coming out of a corner, so it's possible yours is doing the same!

Not a fan of the original pressure senders and clocks but I guess it gives an indication. Worth seeing how hot your temps get with a proper gauge though, if an oil cooler helps you stay out longer and drive it harder on track then its well worth it!

marc69
19-07-12, 08:32 PM
Well there is no reason for the guy to say I was n three wheels if I wasn't so i must have....I'll have a troll through you tube in a week or two to see.

I see what you mean regarding a proper gauge, yes the vauxhall clock is really a bit vague, what a surprise!

paul james
19-07-12, 09:54 PM
I used to get my old 1.2i Nova on three wheels quite often, so it doesn't require much power to achieve! Thats just what you get with rear beam suspension.

Mieran
20-07-12, 11:42 AM
Nice to meet you there bud, shame reverse layout wasn't as good as I was expecting.

marc69
27-07-12, 11:19 AM
Nice to meet you there bud, shame reverse layout wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Good to meet you too. Your car was cool and pretty nippy. The reverse was ok, scarey the first time but you still know it was knockhill.

mowgli
27-07-12, 11:29 AM
Seriously regarding the 3 wheels? I know that for cornering most other cars brake earlier than I would and are slower on the bends but unfortunately on the straights I loose!

its a classic new racer thing.. late braking ends up costing you lap time, it can be handy for passing someone, as long as you can keep a racing line in the corner, but if you brake earlier, you will carry better speed thru the corner & be faster on the straight.
the lad we sponsored on stock-hatch suffered from it till his mate, robbie kerr (possibly the great british lost f1 driver) got him to sort it out.

marc69
27-07-12, 02:33 PM
its a classic new racer thing.. late braking ends up costing you lap time, it can be handy for passing someone, as long as you can keep a racing line in the corner, but if you brake earlier, you will carry better speed thru the corner & be faster on the straight.
the lad we sponsored on stock-hatch suffered from it till his mate, robbie kerr (possibly the great british lost f1 driver) got him to sort it out.

Interesting and I will try braking earlier next time during the times when no-one is breathing down my neck. What I did find was that on a lot of the corners I was going through them slower than I could have but, it seems that perhaps I was going through at an adventurous speed without realising it, thus the three wheeling which I don't intend to continue!

On another positive note, the spring which I though had been damaged, it had just dislodged by a few mm, very lucky there.

pottersrebel
27-07-12, 05:58 PM
As someone has said before try a thicker oil, i use valvoline vr 1 20/50 grade in mine (stockcar) as thats the only one my engine builder would recommend

marc69
28-07-12, 02:21 PM
As someone has said before try a thicker oil, i use valvoline vr 1 20/50 grade in mine (stockcar) as thats the only one my engine builder would recommend

Thanks for that, I have a fair bit of 20/50 which is what I use for my ohv engines....handy.

marc69
07-08-12, 10:54 AM
After driving down in the middle of July in scotland with no heater, by the time i reached knockhill my feet were numb so.... I fitted the firewall so I don't get air poisoned and then the matrix, wired in the heater (the original wiring had been removed so was a bit of a challenge) and dashboard. I'll see next time if the extra wieght makes it even slower..
I did find though with the firewall and dash etc fitted, what a difference in noise reduction!

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/69marc/DSC02082.jpg

monks69
08-08-12, 07:00 PM
Any1 going to the next knockhill? think its on the 19th?