PDA

View Full Version : 20XE oil leak

jamesburrows
31-07-03, 10:04 PM
I've got a oil leak on my valver (20EX). It looks like its coming from the oil filter housing or maybe the sump, cant see which. Is it possable to remover the oil filter housing (including the thermostate for the oil cooler) without having to remove the whole oil pump? if so, how? i cant see any bolts that might do this, but it does look like it should be removable.
Haynes doesn't really say.
I've bought a full bottom end gasket set but if i have to take off the oil pump to fix it , i'll have to half drop the engine out i think (cam belt off etc etc)
cheers

smidd
05-08-03, 08:12 PM
the thread which the oil filter is on has an 10mm allen key hole in the centre,undo this,
smidd

jim sri
05-08-03, 11:17 PM
all the 20xe/c20xe's sump gaskets leak...
you can fit a later 2.0 16v ecotec sump gasket (rubber as opposed to cork), these are apparently better although i havnt tested one yet.

Dicko
06-08-03, 10:00 AM
how much of a leak? possible crankseal is leaking

so1o
06-08-03, 11:12 AM
yeah i had a leak on my valver aswell, it was the sump gasket, its easy to do and im told its a common problem

jamesburrows
07-08-03, 11:29 AM
I've got it sorted now, i fitted a new sump gasket. To remove the oil filter housing/ oil cooler feeds i had to use a 24mm socket on the thread for the oil filter and the whole thing comes off. The bottom end gasket set didn't have to O ring needed so i used sump gasket sealer, which did the job nicely.
The worse thing about the job was having to remove both the manifold and anti-roll bar to get the sump off. oh, and having to drain the oil i'd only just changed a few weeks ago wasting 30 quids of Magnatec's finest.