PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Coilover Springs - Spax RSX

chimp007_uk
18-07-12, 01:16 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the Spx coilovers I have to Gaz, but in the meantime I want to get a trackday in, in October.

I know the spax springs are slightly odd sized. I have 2 questions to ask:

1) Is anyone running 2.25" without modification?
2) Is anyone running 2.5" without any issues?

There's much better options and prices if I don't have to deal with Spax direct!

Cheers
Chris

Alex J
18-07-12, 01:18 PM
hammer the arch FTMFW!!

chimp007_uk
18-07-12, 01:20 PM
Alex, it's not about arch mods this time, the spax kits don't come with rear coilovers. Its the physical dimensions of the front coilover springs, I need to fit higher poundage, but spax fall slightly between 2.25 and 2.5 I believe.

Just need some feedback.

Paul
18-07-12, 02:09 PM
Get the spax platforms machined to fit gaz springs.

pie
18-07-12, 02:15 PM

Mieran
18-07-12, 02:37 PM
Get the spax platforms machined to fit gaz springs.

Thats what I did

chimp007_uk
18-07-12, 03:21 PM
Ok, if thats the easiest option, will probably help with my shock to tyre clearance.

I'm guessing you run 2.25" now. Does anyone run a slightly longer spring than standard to help the platform to tyre clearance?

Also, poundage wise, I was thinking 500lb on the front. A friend races in the mk2 golf gti championship, and they're running 850lb fronts and 900lb rears. Is 500lb too soft. It's a c20xe nova btw.

Cheers

Mieran
18-07-12, 03:25 PM
500 should be alright, I like the rsx on 10 clicks too.

Don't forget to get the upper cup that holds the spring machined too

BRoadGhost
18-07-12, 03:38 PM
Saints preserve us! 850's and 900's... Understand that if you choose such rates for something that'll see the road you'll end up being slower because it'll want to throw you around the road. The shell will take more impact from things like sunken manhole covers too.

Imo 425s for the front could be ideal, but then it depends on every other aspect of the suspension setup.

chimp007_uk
18-07-12, 05:08 PM
Cheers guys. I've spoken to a mate a work and he knows a machinist so will get them done "once" I get the car to my house. It's still 80miles away at the folks... What did people machine them out to? 57mm?

My nova is only for track, and if i ever mot'd taxed it etc it would purely be to drive to and from trackdays. But at the same time, it's not a race car. Currently it's fully poly bushed, with the rsx kit. I have eccentic top mounts but not fitted. I don't run a front ARB either.

I can't remember the dimensions and poundage the springs are, was a long time ago when they were fitted. They the standard kit spring. On from poundage, what spring lengths a good starting point? The car is this low and probably half way on the adjuster.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/a1a0731f.jpg

Its so frustrating as this would be a simple task if I had the car to hand...

Iain
18-07-12, 06:07 PM
Get the springs and ask the platforms to be machined to suit the ID of them. The springs are 2.25" ID though...

If you want to avoid the tyre then run shorter springs, 6" or so should be enough to clear the front tyres depending on rideheight, wheels, tyres, etc.

Lowness will probably be dictated by shock travel rather than available threads on the body.

High poundage fronts is probably a great idea for track, but without changing the rears to keep a similar balance if you leave it mega soft it'll introduce a lot more understeer surely?

chimp007_uk
18-07-12, 08:55 PM
I'm looking to get custom rear coilover springs that'll sit in the standard spring platforms, so will run higher poundage on the rear. Circa 450-500lb.

I'll have a look once the cars up here whether I can run 6" springs or whether the platforms will be too high.