PDA

View Full Version : best brake set up on xe, tried n tested

jaywalker
16-07-12, 10:06 AM
hi peeps

I have an xe gsi, with 256mm discs at the front and std drums on the back, in the next few weeks I'm fitting twin 45 dellorto carbs, I really need better braking and wondered what is the best tried n tested xed brake set up for the nova? it is road car

thanks jay ;-)

GRUNT 16V
16-07-12, 10:34 AM
I used the vectra 286 x 24 on the front and a rear disc set up on mine i also had goodridge lines and a gte servo stopped on a penny i adjusted the nut on the brake pedal aswell
hope this helps

jaywalker
16-07-12, 10:42 AM
thanks, I have a gte servo somewhere, does this just bolt on or is mods needed for it to fit?, how hard is the rear conversion to do, I have seen the conversion plates for the rear beam, is it just a case of bolting the discs and calipers on off the Astra 16v after you weld the plates on?

Benn
16-07-12, 01:33 PM
Dont bother with rear disc. Just refresh the drums so they work, on the front invest in good discs and good pads. But keep the 256mms. Will stop you fine.

jaywalker
16-07-12, 01:56 PM
confused now lol, I have brand new discs n gm pads on front with new drums,shoes, & cylinders on back, would it benefit having the Astra valve servo on as I have one of these?, if so do I need to modify it to fit?
thanks for the advice though, can't wait to get the twin 45s fitted ;-)

Benn
16-07-12, 02:16 PM
Youll have to mod a Astra servo to fit.

There are better discs and pads out there over GM stuff.

jaywalker
16-07-12, 02:37 PM
there is some calibra turbo discs & vectra v6 calipers on eBay they come with quinton hazel pads, will this set up be good enough? any idea what mod has to be done on the servo? eBay number 120950024043

Mazz
16-07-12, 02:49 PM
They are Nobby's i think

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?183961-v6-brakes&

craig green
16-07-12, 06:26 PM
Your XE will be slower on the carbs anyway.

Ferodo DS series pads, decent race fluid & as said, keep the rear drums shoes adjusted tip-top, otherwise the pedal feel will suffer.

jaywalker
17-07-12, 02:53 PM
how come it willl be slower? there twin 45 dellortos, surely it would be quicker??

craig green
17-07-12, 04:00 PM
Not in my experience..... SFi FTW.

_Jake
19-07-12, 07:21 PM
how come it willl be slower? there twin 45 dellortos, surely it would be quicker??
carbs have flat spots, better off saving for TB's imo

chimp007_uk
19-07-12, 07:51 PM
I run drums on the rear and 256mm on the front. I fitted rotor discs and pagid fast road pads, along with ATE blue racing brake fluid. The car stops perfectly and didnt cook the brakes on track either...

Craig, Carbs are FTW! ;)

autoworksnovasport
19-07-12, 07:59 PM
youve got the best setup already( if they can stop a cav/calibra thats heavier then they will stop your nova) just get some better discs and pads and set your shoes up properly

jaywalker
20-07-12, 01:55 PM
thanks guys ��will deffo look at getting some decent pads then, the rears are brand new and work perfectly, I'm just wondering how come a single std injection system can be quicker than twin carb set up now, my ecu is chipped but I still would of thought that the twin carbs would be quicker than std xe injection, oh well I'm still going to do it and if it's not good then back to injection until some nice throttle bodies come along ��