PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers & Brakes

tay
31-07-03, 06:57 PM
Right I'm thinking of ripping of my spax suspension and going for a set of coilovers so I can slam the car into the weeds. anyone suggest what would be the best make to go for that are not too expensive ? also how much could i lower the car with 17" wheels on a 45mm offset ?

As for brakes at the moment I've got a 256mm brake conversion which I bought from Fast Forward motorsport thats got standard discs and pads, but wanna replace the pads and discs for better ones. Anyone got any recommendations as to what the best disc/pad combo is and what car I shouls say its for when buying em cos nova's dont come with big callipers !

Cheers

Tay

beatin u
31-07-03, 07:10 PM
Spax coilovers are good for a budget, or Weitec are even cheeper. (dont know if there good or not)
or 'leda' for the ultimate (?870??? :o )

brakes are For cavlier, astra, callibra etc. check width.

You will only realy see a differance if you change the size of the disc (imo). the 'max power' wonder discs aren't worth the extra ???

how much u gona lower by????

ps. iner rear arch will be a problem if you have 17's and a huge drop :D

Ste_Nova
31-07-03, 07:37 PM
?200 v-tuning v6 setup on the front

tay
31-07-03, 08:59 PM
the cars lowered by about 35mm at the moment so really im hoping for about 60mm. at least with coilovers if i start getting any probs i can raise it up a bit !

brian
01-08-03, 12:23 AM
Bilstein is the only i would recommend. tried and tested many many times on Novas road and stage use.
www.pro-tecmotorsport.co.uk if ya want new 500 quid
www.motorsportdirect.co.uk if ya want second hand (Iain sells a perfect sets for around 350.

burgo
01-08-03, 06:25 AM
if u are only having them to lower it then go for a cheap set cos a chea set of coilovers is as gd as half decent suspension kit but if u want extra handling the more u pay the better it gets and i would say leda is as far as u would need to go ne fing above this u are wasting ur money as this is serious race stuff and have u thought bout hydralics could b trick

Phil GTE
01-08-03, 09:41 AM
if your sticking with the calipers you have, then i can recommend Rally Designs Drilled/grooved discs witheir fast road pads. Top stuff

If your going for coilovers at the back, have a think about tubbing the rear arches - do you really want to do that?

djp_y2k
01-08-03, 05:00 PM
Avo coilovers are ?500 (I think).

Thats wot I have got and they are set two turns up from the bottom on 19's, not sure how low it is though.

tay
01-08-03, 11:24 PM
cheers for that lads. dip if i aint said it before your motor is the bollocks mate ! keep it up son :D

NovaNeil
02-08-03, 08:14 PM
Hi,
A lot of people don't like them, but I love my AVO Coilovers! They do everything you need and haven't ever let me down and they've been on the car for quite a while. Also with a 45mm offset they should clear at the back, but you will have to mod the inner rear arch for them to fit. Not a problem.......Just need a big hammer :P

As for the brakes, I use a 256mm Pagid 16 groove disc and Fast road pads and have no problem. Its easily good enough to slow the car down from over 100mph without much if not any brake fade.

dathers
03-08-03, 05:44 PM
In my experience grooved or drilled discs are a waste of money!!
To get any real improovement you wanna step up to v6 discs n calipers,288mm discs and bigger calipers.
I got 288mm discs and calipers off a vectra 2ltr 16v estate from the scrappy for ?50,the discs were like new,just had to redrill them to 4 stud which i did no probs at work on a CNC milling machine,allthough you can do it with a hand drill using your old discs as a template,you have to be pretty acurate though!!
Got some green stuff pads and fitted them to a mates corsa b,it stops on its nose now!! Although the pedal travel has increased a bit,not loads though,they are MUCH better than my 16v setup!!
Dave

Aamir
06-08-03, 03:41 PM
You could have your wheels machined by an engineering company to 49mm offset, this would send the wheels further inside the arch allowing more clearance.

If you have you're rear quarters sprayed, you could try this.....

I had my car resprayed & this is what I had done....

Firstly I had the rear quarter panel inner & outer seperated,
then took the inner & cut a strip of metal from it with an air saw,
then pushed it higher up into the car & re-welded it,
this gave me loads of room in the rear arches.
(a bit of width & loads of height)

So when you look in the boot, instead of having two round arch tops, they're almost square.

The outside of the rear quarter will need skimming with filler
where the weld marks show, also have the arch lip turned up at the same time.