PDA

View Full Version : Cam Belt - How hard to renew?

Adam Moran
31-07-03, 05:41 PM
I want to renew my cambelt as im not sure when it was last done, how easy is it to do? or am i best getting a garage to do it? :roll:

Cheers

Ad

Mark
31-07-03, 07:59 PM
How mechanically minded are you?

burgo
31-07-03, 08:11 PM
i would say its easy but only cos ive done one i spose it can b tricky for some1 who aint that gd wit the tools

Adam Moran
31-07-03, 10:52 PM
um, ive changed suspension and brakes and stuff so im ok with a spanner lol

i'll have a read of the haynes manual it think!

Cheers

Ad

Mark
31-07-03, 10:53 PM
If you can do that sort of stuff you should be fine.

Dicko
31-07-03, 11:18 PM
we doing it with the camber mod mate? lol

burgo
01-08-03, 06:27 AM
if uve done that ur gd enough wiv the spanners just follow the haynes step by sep and you'll b fine

rgv_stu
01-08-03, 11:07 AM
if you have an engine with auto tensioner then it will take ten minutes tops
if not budget on half an hour to an hour, and might aswell change the waterpump while your at it

brian
03-08-03, 05:16 AM
might aswell change the waterpump while your at it
a must in my book. simple and cheap to change with the belt,. dear and annoying if it fails!!

Chris LR
03-08-03, 04:36 PM
May as well do the Head Gasket as well if you can afford it and it hasn't been done for a while/ever.

Nova-Boy
04-08-03, 08:29 PM
Might as well just put a new engine in and be done with it :lol:

To change the cam belt take your belt cover off (pain to get too but there you go) and then loosen your alternator and slide it along the adjustment bracket. Take the belt off and put your new one on. Pull the alternator back up till the belt is tight. Just tight enough so that you can just about turn it 90 degrees in your finger and thumb. Then just tighten up your alternator braqcket.

Job done.

Chris LR
04-08-03, 08:44 PM
Being careful not to knock pulleys, or damage the new belt.

I found it easier to make holes in the belt cover and use cable ties to put it back on.....