PDA

View Full Version : AA are a laugh!

Cjscooby
31-07-03, 02:12 PM
Hiya all

Just thought i would tell you about my small problem yesterday an today,

I went round a round about an then put me foot down and the whole car was shackin really bad so managed to get it to me galfriends an jacked it up an checked all the wheels, couldn't work out what it was so Called the AA out to have a look.

The AA bloke get there takes it for a drive then park its up an has a look round everything, ie. drive shafts, wheels, bearings, steering rack, etc, and decided it was wheel balancing which i was not to sure i was but took his word for it

Asked him if i was safe to drive home an he has yeah safe as houses, to got it home after a really nasty drive home, took it to get the wheels balanced up, had them done took it for a run an shackin was still really bad so turned round to come home an was a a really bad knockin noice coming from the passenger side so pulled over an got underneath it to find the drive shafe had loads and i mean load of play in it meaning the CV joint had gone,

Call the AA out to recover me back to me house an the bloke told me it would have been no way safe to drive home down the A14 yesterday what so ever, so got it home an rang the AA to complain about there service an all i got was if you knew there was a problem with the car why did you drive it again, so now Goin with a different company.

just wondered if anyone else has had problems with them?

Cheers
Cj

Fester
31-07-03, 02:16 PM
Ive been with the RAC and theyve always been alright

including the time when i lived in sheffield and wanted to come back to lancaster for the weekend (2hours+) and found the brake caliper had stuck on.

home adress on the family account was lancaster, i used to park round next to bramall lane footy ground and said to RAC people i was just passing through sheff on my way to lancaster

thanks for the ride home boys :lol: :lol:

Cjscooby
31-07-03, 02:20 PM
I'm now goin with the RAC an told AA to Stick the member ship where the sun don't shine

Cj

jatinder
31-07-03, 02:54 PM
RAC are shite considering I paid 90 pounds they took over 3 hrs to come and get me wankers

Nova-Boy
31-07-03, 02:54 PM
I'm not with any. Whats Direct Line like??

Damogolfgti
31-07-03, 03:02 PM
im with direct line and i think they are wicked had to use them once and they were there in 20mins

wisewood
31-07-03, 03:50 PM
I've had the AA out twice - no problems.
20 minute wait the last time, they sent a text message saying he would be with me in 15 minutes - and 12 minutes later he arrived and said "sorry i took so long, i couldnt find you!"

First time was when i went to Margate to buy my SR which had no cam belt on it - mate towed me 10 miles down the road - stopped, unhooked and went home - i phoned the aa and said cam belt snapped they came and took me back to sheffield and that was on my dads policy, not even mine.

Only experience of the RAC was when my fan belt snapped early this year and left me on the hard shoulder of the M18, with no lights on the car at all and no lights on the motorway at all at 2am...
Phoned parents and they fetched my grandfather who was with the RAC and he sait with me in the car until the RAC arrived - almost 2 hours after calling them... but it was a very tired looking guy who turned up - think they were very busy and had to get someone out of bed to come and get me home.

Jim
31-07-03, 04:27 PM
LOL CJ, you get very angry don't you.

I've never had a problem with the AA. They even gave a mate of mine a lift home even though his membership only covered him for local recovery. The AA guy said to use my mebership details and then tip the Flatbed truck driver a few quid to save me from having to go all the way to Kent with the guy.

I'd have gone with the RAC if they'd had a representative at the RAC counter in the service station when I broke down. Unfortunatley for the RAC they didn't, so I joined with the AA.

Jim

?Marty?
31-07-03, 04:32 PM
I'm with the AA and have been for 4 years now. Never had a problem, with them until the last time i used them...

Got stuck in some mud on a country lane (they got there VERY quicly to say that i didn't even know where i was lol), and the guy tha towed me, put his foot down and towed me straight into a country wall behind me!!

It cracked my rear bumper and scratched the paint off. Didnt look that bad then, as it was 1am, so i couldn't see shit. Just looked like it was wet from touching (hitting) the wall (it was pissing it down too), but noticed it was far worse next day.

Ste_Nova
31-07-03, 04:36 PM
" to find the drive shafe had loads and i mean load of play in it meaning the CV joint had gone"

makes no difference to safety will not fall off or snap... won't make car wobble... and drive shafts do have lots of play in them!

Ben (lurk75)
31-07-03, 04:43 PM
Only problem ive ever had with the AA was when i was leaking water all over the services car park, i was only 17 and was scared by this as i thought it had split, rang the AA and told them i was in Cullompton services Devon and they told me it never exsisted, this went on for about 10 minutes until i got them to ring the service bloke for the mid devon area and he told the operator who was in a call center in scotland that he was 10 minutes away and it did exsist just not on his computer.

It was the expansion tank cap that had split so water was coming out through this cost me ?2.50.

Chris LR
01-08-03, 02:29 PM
Touch Woody I've never needed em, but the RAC are good VFM.

I've heard BAD things about Green Flag

hotdogs_r_us
01-08-03, 02:58 PM
I am with RCA.
Very good really

Once me bike broke down on a saturday 1pm so busy, took them 20mins and he cudnt fixed it so called out a spesherlist company to pick me up.

Other was in me nova wudnt start took him 30mins ( was stuck in trffic ) got here within 2 mins he started it!!!!!!

So IMO there good :)

Ste_Nova
01-08-03, 04:24 PM
got here within 2 mins he started it!!!!!!

So IMO there good :)

IMHO u must be shit with novas if he got it going in 2 mins!

hotdogs_r_us
01-08-03, 05:58 PM
well yeah i only 17 and new to cars e.t.c.

dan_mk1
01-08-03, 09:07 PM
My mates computer went on his clio, so he called the aa and after 7hours got a tow. The aa bloke went through a red light at a junction, someone pulled out, the aa bloke swerved and the bloke hit my mates car while he was on tow!! :o
insurance cant decide whos fault it is :roll: , so my mates takin AA to court!

TOSSERS!

dave.gsi
01-08-03, 10:15 PM
i'm not with any (never have been). how much is it to join? aa or rac?

Cjscooby
01-08-03, 11:57 PM
?88 for Recovery an Roadside, with the RAC an your better off with out it than to go with the AA

Cj

Gazza14SR
02-08-03, 11:45 AM
At the minute im really fed up with the AA,

As afew people know ive had afew problems with the car recently, anyway i phoned the AA out to my home to see if they may know the problem.

He tested my fuel pump, did a compression check etc and anyway to cut a long story short he told me i needed a new engine as there was low compression in 2 cylinders, valve needed sortin out, re-bore etc. Told me it'd be about a 1000pound for a garage to do that so the best bet would be to get a second hand one or something.

Later that evening a chap from work came home with meto have a look. Played about with the ignition timing balanced the carbs and set the mixture (as best he could) and now my car is running better than ever!

The problems started to occur when i took it to a place called DAT - Derby Auto Tuning. And ever since ive had it from them its been running like a right dog. I took the car there for a R/R test etc and it cost me 90quid. I've since been refunded 1/2 of that for the shite job they did and still taking it further.

As for the AA saying i needed a new engine, well its running fine at the minute and feels better than it ever had so god knows what he was on about.

I'll stop there cuz most of ya have probaly fell asleep!! lol

Regards
Gaz

Tilly
02-08-03, 01:14 PM
ive never had any probs. called them out once.

my fee for the year is ?35 (not home relay cover) but i got enough peeps that would come out and help me if i had probs..

Im also covered with the D.A.D........... LMAO

dangermousegsi
02-08-03, 03:22 PM
u cant fault the old D.A.D bail u outa the shit service never fails :D

id rather use the AA over the RAC anyday the rac jus seem like the cheap an cheerfull alternitive.

i stacked my first sr into a lampost an the old bill called the aa for me an got a towtruck to take the car home an didnt charge me a thing :D

?Marty?
02-08-03, 06:59 PM
Thinks it's just luck of the draw as to which person comes out. Been told that things needed replacing and etc, but then when i got the car towed home, i'd have a look myself and allways ended up fixing it, and the fault being something completely other than what the AA said it was.

Have their highest available cover, tho it's only coz i can't be arsed cancelling the direct debit for it, so it just carries on. Was alright when i just started driving and was clueless about cars, but not really needed now that i can do/fix most things myself.

Still ok for peace of mind tho.
Also, fuck ups are GREAT as then there is someone to blame. And where there's blame, there's a claim! :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
02-08-03, 07:12 PM
I have never bothered with home start or known anyone who has, you only have to push it down the road about 100 yards then ring up and say well it started ok i drove it down the road and then it cut out, then its not a "home start".

Aragorn
02-08-03, 10:28 PM
the whole parts and labour thing is a joke

a bloke across the road from me has it

his head gasket went while he was out and he's that stupid he drove it till it cut out

he phoned em out and they towed him home - they had a quick look over and said its prolly the head gasket - bloke told them he had parts and labour and AA bloke phoned someone then asked to see service history

the last service was due on 50000 miles and it had done 54000 - they said since it had missed a service it wasnt covered under their warranty and the bloke had to shell out for the repairs himself

basically if u dont have a full service history thats complete and ontime they would repair owt

dinky_n_sexy
03-08-03, 11:44 AM
Here is a pic of the CV Joint Bearings.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=1511

sorry about the pic me galfriends camera is a little pants will take a better one when i get home.

Cj

Chris LR
03-08-03, 04:19 PM
So Whats the deal with the New RAC Cover?

I've only got the basic 20 mile tow with em, which is pretty useless seen as I work all over the Country, Just wondered if It's worth upgrading. Now that I've come across some problems with the Saxo.

For example, It won't under any circumstances change from 5th to 4th, it's poassenger window whistles badly over 55mph and the Radio has a mind of its own. All of which 'don't exsist' according to Citroen.

Haven't decided what to do yet.

dinky_n_sexy
04-08-03, 11:33 AM
to cj, my camara isn't that bad its just that u don't know how to work it lol.

well i do agree that it is pants so i'm saving to get a new one, and if ive got the spare cash we can buy more for yr car!!!! yeah!!! :D :D

AA r really bad, thats y my dads with RAC and now u r to

love dinky me xx

wisewood
04-08-03, 11:46 AM
For example, It won't under any circumstances change from 5th to 4th, it's poassenger window whistles badly over 55mph and the Radio has a mind of its own. All of which 'don't exsist' according to Citroen.

Get a member of staff from the dealership in the car with you and take him out for a drive in it for 10 minutes or so and show him/her all the problems... right there with you in the car too. THat way they cant deny it and if they do - you get another member of staff out in the car with you every time they deny it until the only member off staff left is the manager and you INSIST that he comes with you... and if he refuses tell him you want him there and then to phone his superior and let you speak to him.her on the phone to make an official complaint about his dealership as its fcuking rubbish at aftersales care.

Cheese
04-08-03, 02:52 PM
Had to use the AA last week, for the first time since i joined nearly a year ago. Practically had an argument with the guy who came out to "fix" the car. Flatly refused to believe that my head gasket had gone between 2 cylinders! Had this happen before, know what it sounds like and the symptoms! He checked the oil, and all the plugs, even put some tester liquid in the expansion tank to check to see if it was absorbing carbon monoxide! Also did a pressure check and found cyl 1&2 only puting out 50psi :( He then reconed my timing belt had jumped a tooth :?:
After about 30mins he decided that maybe it was the gasket afterall, but probably also the timing! Lol!

Can't complain too much though, he did tow me home and then give me and the GF a lift to the train station afterwards.. :)

Got the engine apart today, gasket blown between cylinders 1&2. Timing is fine! :D

Chris LR
04-08-03, 03:36 PM
Already tried wisewood..

"Unfortunatly Sir we are short staffed today"

I'm still deciding what to do :?

Philsutton
04-08-03, 08:24 PM
i had to call the AA out once. there wasnt an compression . Their reason was "oh that vernier pulley is stopping it from starting cos i opens all the valves at the same time."
well towed it home at looked at the engine in the morning, the head was cracked right down the middle the rocker cover had a massive hole in it with spewed everywhere. Surely this was the reason it wasnt starting.

wisewood
05-08-03, 02:57 PM
Chris - go back every day for a month and if they say they are short staffed every day hand over a cv and ask for a job interview!

when they wonder what you're talking about say well you are short staffed everyday, i figured i might as well get a job here and then maybe, just maybe someone might fix my f**king saxo!

Chris LR
05-08-03, 03:04 PM
Never thought of getting a Job that way - like your thinking

The Chris Vs Citroen War has Begun...