PDA

View Full Version : does this sound as if my head gone pourus?

michael squeak
12-07-12, 05:55 PM
right..i fitted an xe to the nova and dont no any history of it..

ive got it in wired and plummed up and it was ok.. then it started missing and idling all over the place
so i fitted a new idle control valve, coolant temp sensor, genuine plugs, leads, coolant sender thing.

still missing. so i took it out for a drive thinking a good run might clear it. seeing how the engine has been sat a while.

then driving enthusiastically i lost all power as if i wasnt getting any fuel!
then it wouldnt start or run properly until it cooled down and it was the same.. missing

took the leads of to check the plugs and all 4 were 2cm deep with water and my expansion bottle was empty..

is there anything else i can check before pulling the head of?

thanks
mike

pie
12-07-12, 06:42 PM
a porus head dont cause problems it just makes the headtank look like a chocolate thick shake lol

i drove my cav for months with a porus head didnt effect how it drove buddy

mk1nova_rich
12-07-12, 06:44 PM
Head gasket maybe?

BROD
12-07-12, 06:46 PM
I think its time you got the head off and changed the gasket mate haha :P

jonn
12-07-12, 06:55 PM
are you sure the engine didn't hydrolock with all that water in the cylinders? similar thing happened with petrol when i went to start my engine and ended up bending a rod

michael squeak
12-07-12, 09:18 PM
so its definetley a head off and see what it like job.. just ,y luck.. the neighbours have reported me for working on it and the council have now put a camera up to watch me and a ban on me from working on cars on my drive lol

brainsnova
12-07-12, 09:40 PM
so its definetley a head off and see what it like job.. just ,y luck.. the neighbours have reported me for working on it and the council have now put a camera up to watch me and a ban on me from working on cars on my drive lol

Just tell them your about to lose you head lol

AndrewJenkins
12-07-12, 11:29 PM

sounds like you have some lovely neibhours and they cant fix a pot hole but they can watch you on cctv incase you decide to work on your car lol. so what where you doing to get the complaint anyway?

Southie
12-07-12, 11:46 PM
Give your timing a check as well, also what fuel pump are you running?

What colour have your new plugs gone?

michael squeak
13-07-12, 10:55 AM
Give your timing a check as well, also what fuel pump are you running?

What colour have your new plugs gone?

plugs are a dark brown almost black colour..

ill be checking the timing today when the rain stops.

this is the fuel pump ive got
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250745668547#ht_1041wt_952
5 bar fuel pump
it wasnt that much when i got it lol.

michael squeak
13-07-12, 10:57 AM
last night i took 1 plug off at a time and turned it over. it revs really high missing like mad and then cuts out. it does that with all 4 plugs in. or with 1 unplugged at a time.. but if i take 2 and 3 plug out it misses still but runs for longer

pie
13-07-12, 11:10 AM
it will miss of you pull the plug leads of buddy

marc69
13-07-12, 11:20 AM

Why can't you work on your car on your own drive? Surely that is your business?

I know nothing about XEs but, if all the plugs are dark in colour is that not over fueling?

michael squeak
13-07-12, 11:30 AM
Why can't you work on your car on your own drive? Surely that is your business?

I know nothing about XEs but, if all the plugs are dark in colour is that not over fueling?

all my neighbours ares lick the councillor and none of of them work so they have nothing better to do than report people..
they all have bought houses cars on finance etc.. so theres me with a redtop nova thats unsociable and a diesel old cav and they dont like it.

when i work on them i get the old WHY DONT YOU SCRAP IT AND GET A DECENT NEW CAR!!!

to which i reply why dont you go and get a job and stop moaning at me for working 70 hours a week and maybe getting an hour or 2 on a sat to work on my drive on my car!

but the council then favour the more grown up neighbours who report me because im 23 and should have grown up by now and not be in to boy racers cars.. < (coucils words)

argh rant over lol

Stuart
13-07-12, 11:37 AM
Does it have a Lambda sensor? if not does it need one, or does it need the pin grounding (some of the really early XE's simply had the pin grounded I believe)