PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 8 valve hill climb

tiny
08-07-12, 10:52 PM
After seeing a friend pussying around in his 450bhp impreza at a recent hill climb i have decided to enter the sport in the production class next year with the aim of putting in a faster run. Without modifying the car is there anything i can do to improve its speed ie servicing etc?

Thanks in advance

BROD
09-07-12, 12:13 AM
Im a newb when it comes to vauxhall engines but a thorough clean up and service never hurt any engine! if nothing else it will give you peace of mind (Y)

mowgli
09-07-12, 05:14 AM
your best bet is to read carefully the class rules, and then make sure you get the best model spec to be competitive.

ie. the best gear ratios, carb, cam etc.

then rebuild the engine to get as much power as poss.

production class is not as cheap as you'd think

tiny
09-07-12, 10:40 AM
Well for now i have enough expense with getting the suit, helmet, gloves and boots so there won't be any upgrades done this winter,

the national hillclimb champion does a mid 27 second run and my friend in his 450bhp scooby only managed a mid40.2 so i think there is potential to be around there without doing too much :-)

marcel
10-07-12, 09:54 PM
Hi,

i've a 1.6 8v for Hillclimb in germany.

At the first, you must read the regulation about your class to find out what kind of modification you can take.

Then, if allow, is a very short gearbox helpful. A Nova GTE 5 Gear CR with a 4.53 Finaldrive for example whit a slipdiff. Thats was for longtime my choose before i get a quaife.
The Quaife steering quick rack is helpful, too.
A good Suspension is a must-have!!

A Good gearbox and suspensions is more important as 10 bhp from the engine.
H&R in germany have an excelent hillclimb suspension for the nova. i use it in my nova, too.

But at first, you must read your regulation to find out, what kind of modification you are allowed.

burgo
11-07-12, 10:51 PM
If its a sport it's a 1.3 not 1.2

tiny
12-07-12, 05:38 PM
Ok thanks, its a 1.2 expression, by sport i meant motorsport ;-)

I know i need to keep the interior but does anyone know if that includes the parcel shelf as i am missing the shelf and the supports for it that attach to the inner wing

mk1nova_rich
12-07-12, 06:39 PM
Usually the 'full interior must be retained' regulation is quite flexible meaning that a fair amount can be removed as long as the major parts are still there...seats, dash, doorcards, carpets. The best thing to do is speak to the venue scrutineers (and friendly fellow competitors who are willing to help you go faster lol)

The tyres and suspension are worth spending money on as the 1.2 might not be the fastest thing on the planet but it will fly around corners with the right tweaks. It all depends on your budget really

Things like a quick-rack and solid engine mounts will make a significant difference (late Corsa B rack and Tigersealed standard mounts is the next best thing if you do it cheap)

tiny
12-07-12, 06:57 PM
Usually the 'full interior must be retained' regulation is quite flexible meaning that a fair amount can be removed as long as the major parts are still there...seats, dash, doorcards, carpets. The best thing to do is speak to the venue scrutineers (and friendly fellow competitors who are willing to help you go faster lol)

The tyres and suspension are worth spending money on as the 1.2 might not be the fastest thing on the planet but it will fly around corners with the right tweaks. It all depends on your budget really

Things like a quick-rack and solid engine mounts will make a significant difference (late Corsa B rack and Tigersealed standard mounts is the next best thing if you do it cheap)

Thanks for that, all useful to know :) The only thing that has been done to it is a set of pro-sport coilovers on standard top mounts but even then that was only done as the original shocks were of no use

mk1nova_rich
12-07-12, 08:11 PM
The front brakes will also need addressing if not done already...a set of Astra GTE calipers and 256mm discs are a good start :thumb:

Rear drums are more than adequate if in good nick