PDA

View Full Version : funny whining sound.......

TUBZGSXR
31-07-03, 10:11 AM
when im driving along i notice this faint whining sound, it gets loudest at about 3500 rpm, the cars drives fine, no drifferent to normal, but the soudns a bit worrying, its sounds like it speeds up as i speed up, the fly wheel?? any ideas anyone?
thanx
tubz

dave.gsi
31-07-03, 10:24 AM
whining sound

is it your bird ?

ade
31-07-03, 11:07 AM
roflmao!

:lol:

Could be yer alternator belt

Mine used to do this - sounds like a whistle and gets jigher when you acclerate

the other thing it could be is yer wheel bearings - higher the speed the more nisier they get - sounds like "a light sabre at full tilt" (classic phrase that!)

Ade

Mark
31-07-03, 11:12 AM
Just a stab in the dark, wheel bearings get loud the faster you go and make a sort of whining. Jack the car up and check 'em.

Nova-Boy
31-07-03, 12:59 PM
alternator belt or wheel bearings. Thats what i would check first.

TUBZGSXR
31-07-03, 04:30 PM
how wil i know if the wheel bearings are fecked? and wot about the alternator belt, and wot can be done about it?
thanx
tubz

Stuart
31-07-03, 06:21 PM
if its a high(ish) pitched whine its the alternator (belt but more likely the beraings in it)

a wheel bearing is a low rumble kind of whine lol
to test that
jack the car up, have the steering lock on and possibly soneone on the breaks. hold the wheel at the top and bottom and try to wobble it, if it moves - fooked
also move your hands so they are left and rifht of the wheel, same thing- obv if the top/bottom played the left/right will too.

enjoy

TUBZGSXR
31-07-03, 07:17 PM
cheers mate, il try it out,
how will i tell if its the alternator, casue to be honnest i think its that, cause its a high pitch whine realy, an is it a major problem, or just a n annoyin sound... ?
thanx
T

ade
31-07-03, 08:20 PM
open the bonnet - rev the engine gently (pull the cable thats connected to the carb) - you'll hear immediately if its the alternator.

Ade

nova-1
31-07-03, 08:40 PM
alrite i got the same noise its the fanbelt rubing on the cambelt casing i just cant be arsed doing anything about it lol.

burgo
01-08-03, 06:39 AM
lol @ nova-1 u lazy get sort it out

Mark
01-08-03, 09:57 AM
Will you be so lazy when after a high speed rant and you not noticing it geting worse it cuts through the belt?

Fenix_2k1
01-08-03, 10:17 AM
Just a stab in the dark, wheel bearings get loud the faster you go and make a sort of whining. Jack the car up and check 'em.

Not strictly true.

My rear ones make a real racket above 40 until I get to 80 at which point they're quieter.

Will get round to sorting them this weekend lol.

Mark
01-08-03, 10:23 AM

Not strictly true.

My rear ones make a real racket above 40 until I get to 80 at which point they're quieter.

Will get round to sorting them this weekend lol.

So let me get this right, from 0 to 80 they get louder - I don't see your point, it is generalised basic info to help somone who does not know to too about his car! :? :?

Breeny
01-08-03, 11:36 AM
Could it be the gearbox? Mines whines like a woman most of the time now (Waiting for the inevitable :( )

TUBZGSXR
01-08-03, 01:45 PM
Could it be the gearbox? Mines whines like a woman most of the time now (Waiting for the inevitable :( )

i hope its isnt the gear box :(
that turbo beast eating through the gearbox :twisted: im still interested in it by the way mate, the bank manager isnt so enthusiastic though, but if u still have it early april nxt yr then YES PLEASE :D
Tubz

Fenix_2k1
01-08-03, 05:57 PM
So let me get this right, from 0 to 80 they get louder - I don't see your point, it is generalised basic info to help somone who does not know to too about his car! :? :?

Was just a joke :?

Was just saying mine seem to be really noticeable between 40-80 but above 80 they go quiet again which personally I thought was rather a strange phenomenon.

But next time i'll just keep my mouth shut.

Maybe the whining is you sat in his car? :lol: :lol:

Mark
01-08-03, 06:43 PM
Ohh Sir! :oops:
If I'm sat by him, you were in the back! :roll: :D

Fenix_2k1
01-08-03, 08:36 PM
:lol: :lol:

Only joshing :D

Mark
01-08-03, 08:42 PM
:lol: :lol: Me too bud, me too. :lol: :lol:

nova-1
01-08-03, 09:18 PM
i know i should fix it but when i get home from work i can never be arsed lol plus im gas flowing 1.2 head so i usualy do that :P