PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for track car

swedge
08-07-12, 03:13 PM
Just having some ideas when I come to tracking the nova

I'll be wanting it as light as safely possible

I'd like to remove the whole dash or fit a fibreglass one

With the wiring, I currently have a gsi dash in my mk1 do behind the dash dosnt look pretty with all the connections

How do I go about removing in needed wiring?

Just a case of tracing it all back wi the fusebox and cutting it out?

brainsnova
08-07-12, 03:31 PM
Yes trace back the circuit and chop not all with go back to the fuse box but by the time all the tape is off its obvious

swedge
08-07-12, 03:45 PM
Cheers Should be fun stripping it all back

Markd89
08-07-12, 04:36 PM
Cheers Should be fun stripping it all back

wear gloves, mine are still sticky from doing mine

swedge
08-07-12, 04:51 PM
yeah ive unwrapped a few looms before and you do get in quite a mess

ill probably re-wrap the loom in the felt tape stuff you get

mowgli
08-07-12, 05:16 PM
stripping down a wiring loom will save you next to nothing, as things like heaters & wipers are still necessary in a track car. just keep the dash for tidiness.
you'll save way more weight by pulling the interior trim out, but here comes the main problem.. you are a long long way from any tracks, so if you plan to road the nova, you'll need some creature comforts..
and the thing about track days is that you aren't actually racing anyone, so stripping the last gram out isn't going to make that much difference, you are doing it for the driving experience.

swedge
08-07-12, 05:18 PM
the nova wont be on the road so creature comforts arent a priority

its not so much the weight saving its removing stuff that isnt needed any more, i know what your saying about track days but your going to want to get the best you can out the car your driving

so weight saving means your getting more from it

mowgli
08-07-12, 05:25 PM
swedge. just what do you consider to be unnecessary wiring?

you need a fully working heating system, demister for use on any british tracks, when you consider the weather we are having these days, and a steamed up car will be black flagged for safety.

once you have the seats & mats out, saving maybe 30kg and possibly wasted a weekend & lots of swearing to get the underseal & sound deadening off 10kg, you might manage to get an extra couple of kg off but its the law of diminishing returns. 2kg weight loss is hardly going to make your nova go faster round a trackday...

swedge
08-07-12, 05:26 PM
but i know its done it will make me happy lol

mowgli
08-07-12, 05:27 PM
just wait till someone tells you to relocate your battery to the boot.....to help handling!!!!

then think of the extra weight of the bracket & wiring needed... lol

swedge
08-07-12, 05:31 PM
im not quite that stupid mr mowgli, i know removing some wiring from the car aint gonna ad 30mph to my top speed

General Baxter
08-07-12, 05:33 PM
just wait till someone tells you to relocate your battery to the boot.....to help handling!!!!

then think of the extra weight of the bracket & wiring needed... lol

best thing i ever did in the blue loon, so much more space under the bonnet :)

mowgli
08-07-12, 05:34 PM
i know you aren't daft, but people seem to spend loads of time & effort to strip down a car, then they do something odd, like fill the fuel tank right up, putting about 30kg extra in, when they can have a jerry can in the tow car......

Iain
08-07-12, 06:01 PM
Start with a low spec 1.2 carb loom if you haven't already, not too much unecessary wiring to start with.

I'd use convoluted tubing and not tape it up again, because at some point in the near future you'll want to add some wires to it.

I can see where you're coming from, prep it as much as you're willing to go, yes you're not racing anyone but if you're a few seconds quicker on a lap it'll be a lot more fun.

swedge
08-07-12, 06:16 PM
i had a boring 12 hour nightshift last night and got to page 120 on you project thread, wa reading it on the iphone so bookmarked for my next shift haha

ideally id like to change the complete loom and like you said maybe to a 1.2 carb while im at it

mowgli
08-07-12, 06:18 PM
best thing i ever did in the blue loon, so much more space under the bonnet :)

and what did you put there?????? lol

Iain
08-07-12, 06:24 PM
i had a boring 12 hour nightshift last night and got to page 120 on you project thread

Sorry it was so boring for you, hope it improves after page 120 lol

swedge
08-07-12, 06:28 PM
haha you know what i meant lol, good reading though got as few tips from it