PDA

View Full Version : Vag 2.0 pd engines... Good/bad?

Stuart
07-07-12, 06:59 PM
Looking at replacing the b5.5 1.9 pd130 passat and while a b,w 3 or 5 30d would be ace I do love how robust the passat is.

Are the vag 2.0 pd engines any good as I've heard mild rumours they suck lol
Although I am half tempted by an a6 v6 derv Quattro lol

mowgli
07-07-12, 07:30 PM
the 1.9 8v will be the last thing running, ever...

the 2.0 things eat turbos, and i think the heads don't last if they've been 'tuned'

Asa-James
07-07-12, 07:35 PM
To start with, every one of our customers with a new passat regrets buying it, regardless of engine. Seconds, I wouldn't trust a pd as far as I could drag one, I know that working in a garage I only see the downside of them, but when every fault is apparently a "common problem" (and there appears to be a lot of them) then it becomes a bit disconcerting. Injector faults (one goes down, car stops running, all four require checking/replacing) sensor faults, flywheel, and nothing is a straight forward/cheap fix.

I'm no VAG fan anyway, but it seems everything '06 on from them is pants. Best modern diesels that I've come across are small fords, merc's and BMW.

Pistol Pete
07-07-12, 07:37 PM
My dad had the 2.0 engine in his last Passat. Turbo went and the manifold cracked IIRC.

lol He now drives a Merc C220 CDi...god bless a good company car scheme!

EwanG
07-07-12, 07:54 PM
My dad had the 2.0 engine in his last Passat. Turbo went and the manifold cracked IIRC.

lol He now drives a Merc C220 CDi...god bless a good company car scheme!
Nothing wrong with my 2.0tdi 64000k miles:)

Pistol Pete
07-07-12, 07:56 PM
Good for you. Was about 70k that my dads failed....

John
07-07-12, 08:05 PM
The 2.0 isn't as robust as the 1.9. Yes they have injector faults but you should know that anything in the vw/Audi/seat skoda with affected injectors will have recalls outstanding. Early cylinder heads had faults too, as well as balance shaft/oil pump issues. Most modern stuff is cr though now so no such thing as pd (all new shape a4's have the cr engine) ps the v6 derv is a thirsty fooker, get a cr 170 :)

burgo
07-07-12, 08:27 PM
All vag engines are crap

Pistol Pete
07-07-12, 08:28 PM
lol driven alot then?!

burgo
07-07-12, 08:31 PM
Worked on enough

conza123
07-07-12, 08:40 PM
the 1.9 8v will be the last thing running, ever...

the 2.0 things eat turbos, and i think the heads don't last if they've been 'tuned'

not my dads golf hes on his 3rd engine 2nd turbo as the first two had the cylinder liners crack and turbo went when just pulling away slowly in 1st gear

John
07-07-12, 09:05 PM
All vag engines are crap
I disagree :)

John
07-07-12, 09:07 PM
not my dads golf hes on his 3rd engine 2nd turbo as the first two had the cylinder liners crack and turbo went when just pulling away slowly in 1st gear
Liners? Are you sure? What engine?

mowgli
07-07-12, 09:28 PM
the 1.9 is brilliant. i will fight any man who says otherwise..

we have a caddy tdi at work that got driven into a huge puddle & sucked in water, lots of water... the garage towed it away & the insurance paid us out on it.. 3 weeks later, we took all the intake pipes off & drained the intercooler out, took the injectors out & turned it over.... then put it back together, changed the oil & we've been driving it like that for a year..

my touran is 06 reg & has the 100hp version, and it is seriously no trouble, and does 40 odd mpg all day long including some spirited scaring off of hot hatches

paul080803
07-07-12, 09:36 PM
I have a early 1.9 tdi, pre PD, in my runaround golf estate. It is brilliant!!! I have had a mk4 golf gttdi 130 too and that was excellent too.

My next runaround estate will be a 1.9 tdi PD or a BMW 3.0d which aren't as good but RWD!

John
07-07-12, 09:37 PM
Mike, is your Toran not 110? 6 speed se? Let's face almost every modern engine had its faults, I'm just pleased I don't work for vauxhall anymore lol

mowgli
07-07-12, 09:41 PM
john, it goes well, maybe it is 110... i need to book it in with you soon for a cambelt etc... it must be about time for its next service...
the light keeps flashing & so does the airbag one... have you got a thingy???

John
07-07-12, 09:48 PM
Mike, how many miles has it done since I last did it? Yeah no worries, yep I have access to a scanner so we can read the codes off. Drop me a text/call when you're ready :)

mowgli
07-07-12, 09:51 PM
will do

deanwilko
07-07-12, 09:58 PM
only had problems with the injectors on the 2.0 but there 7 years warrenty on them so nothing to worry about really. had one with a turbo gone but it had been mapped which they dont seem to like on the 2.0.

we have 1.9's come in at work with 600k on and run a treat, serviced every 2/3 months still on original headgaskets.

Stuart
07-07-12, 10:16 PM
Hmmmm can the B6 passat be got on a 1.9 engine?

John, is it easy to find the CR engine, or are people just stupid and claim everything from VAG is PD lol
The replacement can be a shade thirstier as the other car uses waaaaay less than the clio did and is about £300 a year cheaper to run anyway, so I can use that on fuel lmao.
Would the 3.0 be a really bad move? (like as bad as a GM V6 derv bad move lol)

conza123
07-07-12, 10:29 PM
Liners? Are you sure? What engine?

its in a 51 plate mk4 golf gt tdi with the ajm engine

Pistol Pete
07-07-12, 11:26 PM
Stu, have you looked at BMW's? It pains me to say it, but my mates 330d is a nice car indeed.

Stuart
08-07-12, 07:52 AM
Stu, have you looked at BMW's? It pains me to say it, but my mates 330d is a nice car indeed.

I have, and do like them a lot, but at the same time getting a post 07 one for £10K without intergalactic milage on seems tricky (want post 07 as they have better toys). Thing is the passat has done us so well with my total lack of care towards her and getting a newer one so long as it can cope the same is very tempting lol

Tim
08-07-12, 09:26 AM
i have the same car as you. 2002 passat estate 130pd sport. Goes really well for a 1500kg car, our has only done 77k and still feels like new to drive, pulls well and the 6 speed is silky smooth. i have heard of cars doing 500k on original turbos and injectors, seems the regular servicing is a must.

i was looking at a high miler 56plate b6 2.0 tdi for the same sort of money, but with some research found that they suffer with many more "common" problems. and decided to get an older lower milage b5.5. the only fault i have is the fact that VW cant seem to make a car that keeps water out

Stuart
08-07-12, 10:26 AM
the only fault i have is the fact that VW cant seem to make a car that keeps water out

lol I had to punch the drain plugs out the other week and got about 15 Litres of water out of the bulkhead :s

Tim
08-07-12, 10:43 AM
lol I had to punch the drain plugs out the other week and got about 15 Litres of water out of the bulkhead :s

snap, thats what i did last sunday, and today im planning on sorting the pollen filter seal and locating the ccm and drying it out and sorting any correded connections that i find along the way.

i cleared the drains and had 2 big lumps of gunk under the car when i moved it.

Connor
08-07-12, 10:44 AM
Keep the pb5.5 . Imo the pre pd's are the best but pd's are not all that bad, there's an ex taxi bora that my uncle bought and sold that has just been scrapped, had 490k on it and the engine was still strong, only got scrapped because of needing everything but an engine lol.
From what i have been told, the newer 2.0 tdi's are ok, yes they have problems but which modern car doesn't ;)

John
08-07-12, 01:27 PM
Hmmmm can the B6 passat be got on a 1.9 engine?

John, is it easy to find the CR engine, or are people just stupid and claim everything from VAG is PD lol
The replacement can be a shade thirstier as the other car uses waaaaay less than the clio did and is about £300 a year cheaper to run anyway, so I can use that on fuel lmao.
Would the 3.0 be a really bad move? (like as bad as a GM V6 derv bad move lol)

Yeah the 3c passat can be had with the 1.9 engine, iirc they do a 110 and a 130. Think the 130 is in se and higher? The cr engine has been in the passat for a goid few years now too. The 3.0 is a good engine, but like I say, thirsty. My bro just got rid of an a4 3.0 v6 tdi quatt s line. 25mpg maxing the motorway.
I'd go for an a6 with the last of the 170 Pd engines if budget allows. Very few probs with them at all. Apologies for the late reply, in the land of no 3G (Cornwall lol)