PDA

View Full Version : I fitted some 500LB springs today

Mieran
06-07-12, 11:43 PM
I bought some 7" 500LB springs and fitted them to my ebay coilovers (soft shocks) and car handles so much better now and ride isn't harsh or bouncy etc. Its a 1.6 16V too so not big block.

So why are people against using high poundage springs?

I don't have a front arb fitted either.

This makes me think of going higher LB for my track car?

Andy
07-07-12, 12:43 AM
Answered your own question-Personal preferance :)

SimonTW
07-07-12, 07:33 AM
Interesting stuff!! Whats the ride like over rough uneven roads and what set up are you running on the rear? I have the same coilovers as you I think on 16xe and found the ride okay on smooth roads but a bit too firm for back roads with poor surfaces.

mk1nova_rich
07-07-12, 08:09 AM
As Andy said its down to personal preference...

I had quite stiff coilovers on my C16XE and found them way too stiff on back roads, it was always trying to spin the wheels up over bumps and used to be quite skittish.

Now I have a standard Corsa C SXi which feels much more planted on back roads with its softer suspension, and I reckon with the C16XE in it would be faster round the corners than the Nova was.

On smooth well surfaced roads (what are these? lol) stiff coilovers probably are the way to go but IMO are absolutely ****e on bumpy windy roads

peester
07-07-12, 08:49 AM
what height/size were your old coilover springs?
The new ones you say are 7"..

Stuart
07-07-12, 04:02 PM
finally!!!!

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it till I die.
Higher rate springs and soft damping is a fantastic combo for road and track use, especially given the OEM ARB is such a terrible design. With a properly designed ARB then maybe you could back the spring rates down a touch.