PDA

View Full Version : e16se pre-detonating STILL

Curtoise
06-07-12, 06:05 PM
right i have run out of things that could be causing this now.... i have a e16se which is standard apart from a 4 branch exhaust. now it all started as soon as i put it in about 4-5 months ago.
I had the head skimmed and they took too much off which is what i thought the problem was, so i got hold of another low mileage head and it didnt solve the problem.

Now the timing is dead spot on and it pinks under load only......
I have checked for any air leaks and solved the few i had (replaced intake pipe) i have blanked off all the valves (coasting air valve, supplementary air valve) to make sure there is not excessive air getting in causing it to run lean. i have had the CO set up spot on so the mixture is correct.

now does anyone know why else it could be pinking??

i have one idea that the fuel pump is not good enough (got it out of a mpi astra) but then i would expect flat spots through the rev range.

another thing to note is that it pinks LESS on Super unleaded (higher octane) than it does on regular.
Also the ron plug is on 98 when i run on super, and it makes no difference what number it is on.
I once plugged it into a modis and it came up with a fault (ron coding circuit signal weak) so could this be a problem with my wiring?!

any help greatly apprecieated otherwise im going to have to swap engines. :thumb:

craig green
06-07-12, 11:21 PM
Got another set of injectors you can try?

Also remove the fuel feed to the rail & prime the pump.. aim it away from anything & check a good spurt of fuel shoots accross the garage. (lame check of healthy pump pressure) otherwise get hold of a pressure gauge. Likewise is the fuel filter been replaced this millenia?

These engines rarely play up so other than swapping in other parts from a known working E16 (AFM/coil/ECU etc) I cant think what else to check tbh.

mowgli
06-07-12, 11:52 PM
when you say spot on, do you mean as in timed up with a strobe light???
cos that will be the leaded timing mark. you need to back it off a couple of degrees to match unleaded. and the comment on super u/l and normal u/l makes me think its just not timed up perfectly

Curtoise
07-07-12, 02:33 PM
i will try the fuel pressure checks, i have tried different AFM's and ECU's to no avail.
yes i started on the strobe, and have played about with the dizzy if i retard it it pinks less but still pinks and there is a massive power loss and falt spots across the rev range so this tells me its too far retarded. i have got another set of injectors i will try. i can get hold of a pressure regulator to test the pressure but as you know the fuel lines are terrible to get to! haha

i changed the fuel filter as this was one of my suspects last month

The coil is the same one that was with the 1.4 spi engine that was originally in it. should i get a 1.6 coil?!

Edd
07-07-12, 03:11 PM
Get the correct coil

You might as well not bother even thinking what the problem is if you don't have the correct parts fitted

Curtoise
07-07-12, 06:35 PM
okay this will be my next step, thanks

Stuart
07-07-12, 06:55 PM
Got the 1.6 ignition module there too?

Curtoise
08-07-12, 01:56 PM
ignition module as in the ecu? yeah i do

Jon_nova1
08-07-12, 02:12 PM
ignition module the black chip thing that bolts to the same mount as the coil