PDA

View Full Version : Front Springs failed the MOT

nova_saloon
06-07-12, 05:20 PM
Hey everyone

as most of you as well as i have, have shorter springs for the purposes of not making it look like it is on stilts
But they failed the MOT today as when he lifted the car the spring did not seat on the rubber and now need springs that will fit without doing that?

Is this possible to get, or if anyone has some standard springs i can just put on for a temporary moment of time that would be loverly.

Oh and need a welder, believe it or not there is rust on my nova!!!

Connor
06-07-12, 05:27 PM
Cant you cable tie the springs to keep them seated mate?

EwanG
06-07-12, 05:48 PM
Do you have standard shocks? Many years ago I had chassis dynamic 60mm springs on standard shocks. The springs were the same length as the standard ones but they compressed more (giving the 60mm drop) so were fine when the car was jacked up. So there must still be springs out there that will do the same job. Cut the rusty steel out mate dont weld over it! Nice sr BTW :d

nova_saloon
06-07-12, 07:00 PM
Cable tie that sounds like good fun. naw he will notice that hasnt been done so will just have to do it properly just temporarily until i get it mot'd then back on the original stuff, but its going to whack my tracking out so far!!!

i always cut the rust out. bloody horrible stuff ye ole rust! it will be nice one day, when i get round to a full strip down at some point!

MK999
06-07-12, 07:18 PM
Unless they actually fall out it should pass, so cable tie the bottoms in place so they relocate.

Asa-James
06-07-12, 07:32 PM
^^ as above, they only locate on the bottom, so as long as it stays in its locators when the front is lifted its a pass, probably with an advise if he's an old grumpy sod (like me:))

nova_saloon
06-07-12, 07:57 PM
okay i might just call up tomorrow and ask if this is possible because i cant be arsed to go down there and for him to turn me away

EwanG
06-07-12, 08:17 PM
okay i might just call up tomorrow and ask if this is possible because i cant be arsed to go down there and for him to turn me awayAsk them and see what they say but if they are strict like they should be they willl say no! defo! We all know stupid things can fail an mot but at the end of the day its better to be safe than sorry! If your car passes just dont do jumps like the dukes of hazzard lollol!

General Baxter
06-07-12, 08:18 PM
mine passed and the rears fell out on the testers head :p

brucer
06-07-12, 11:57 PM
it didnt knock any sense into him then? ^^^ lol

bring it to me to mot, ill pass it. ;)