PDA

View Full Version : Engine Wont Stop

NOVA BUF
06-07-12, 11:29 AM
Hi people, I know everyone on this site has helped me out with previous problems :) but I have encountered another one :( I hope you will all be able to shed some light on this for me.

Basiclly the situation is my nova will start and run absaloutely perfectly up untill the moment I wana turn it off, when I turn back the key and remove it from the ignition the car keeps running.:confused::confused::confused:

Mayby Ive put a wire wrong somewhere or something but its really doing my head in so please help people, i know ur all very knowledgeable.:thumb:

Markd89
06-07-12, 11:55 AM
You have either a short or a live somewhere that shouldnt be. i had this but i wired an ign live to the alternator by mistake which was keeping it running. Theres a few thing it could be, membrane on the back of your clocks ( have you had them removed atall recently ? ) The ignition barrel could be stuck which isnt releasing when you turn the key
Have you done a conversion ? more info on the car would be helpful

nathan87
06-07-12, 03:28 PM
I had that problem, was down to my clocks

NOVA BUF
06-07-12, 03:34 PM
Well ok to start with I bought this car as a 1.0 litre but the engine was dead so i removed it and fitted a C12NZ but then we didnt have the loom for the throttle body so we removed the inlet manifold and throttle body and put in a 12NV inlet manifold and manual choke carb as the original 1.0 already had the choke cable there.
We then needed to swap the cam carrier as we needed the fuel pump running off the camshaft to run the manual choke carb. So we used the cam carrier from a 12NV and meaning we had the right fuel pump and obviously the distributor had to be changed to a 12NV one aswell from running off the camshaft.

Since getting it running we knew the alternator and starter wasnt wired correctly as the key wasnt doing anything. We was just touching wires together to start it but then thanks to a well known person on here Mowgli we got the starter wired correctly so the key started it but for some reason still wouldnt stop it. We also had no battery light at all and the battery wasnt charging, we then relised we were missing an earth cable from the body of the alternator to the engine block so we fitted one and the battrey light came on with ignition and then turned off once the engine was started and the battery was now charging but still the key wont stop the engine.

Hope this all makes sense

Markd89
06-07-12, 03:55 PM
The battery charging wire is blue/white that's the feed for your battery light on the dash. You should have a big red going to the alt also which is live.

Plug
06-07-12, 04:41 PM
check the back of your clocks, the printed board will probs be shorting out

NOVA BUF
06-07-12, 04:50 PM
yeah I have a blue/white wire going from 8mm alternator nut to dash and a big live wire coming from the battery to a 10mm nut on back of alternator also the earth strap from alternator bracket to engine block.

How do I check if the clocks are shorting out?

brainsnova
06-07-12, 05:20 PM
Unplug the clocks and see if it helps

NOVA BUF
06-07-12, 07:43 PM
Just unplugged my clocks, the car started and ran fine, but still wouldnt turn off on the key, ???

Markd89
06-07-12, 08:50 PM
my money is on the ignition barrel not springing back

This is what i do to test, it may not me the ideal way but it works for me, hot wire the car.

Bypass the ignition barrel and see what happens.

mowgli
06-07-12, 09:10 PM
please read this article

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?186784-Electrical-issues-found-when-fitting-a-larger-engine-in-a-1.0

my money is on the spare starter wire from the 1.0 starter motor that you have possibly connected to the new starter, and its connected to the coil... its probably permanently live.

NOVA BUF
07-07-12, 09:32 PM
on the starter i have one wire from the battery to the big nut and one wire from the ignition to the small nut.

mowgli
07-07-12, 09:39 PM
how many wires are there to your coil & what colours are they?

NOVA BUF
08-07-12, 08:39 AM
on the bottom pins there are red and black coming from the dizzy and on the top i have a green wire for the rev counter and a black wire going to the ignition barrel.

u once drew me a pic of how the coil is wired, dont know if you remember it was few months back now.

mowgli
08-07-12, 10:30 AM
ok, take the black wire off at the coil & fit either a telltale light or a multi meter to it, then check if the ignition switch is working right.

re the pic. i've been helping quite a few people of late with wiring issues, it blurs after a while.

NOVA BUF
08-07-12, 10:43 AM
how will i no if it is working right? surely with that wire disconnected the car wont start

it is a brand new ignition swich

mowgli
08-07-12, 10:46 AM
we know the car runs. its to test what the ign switch is doing.

something is getting power to the coil, that is what is causing this.

so we need to find out what is causing it.

if the ignition switch is behaving itself under normal testing, then you must look at other things.

NOVA BUF
08-07-12, 10:50 AM
ahhhh right, i get ya, well once it stops absaloutely bucketing it down il pop out there and have a look.

NOVA BUF
09-07-12, 12:49 PM
I have just put a multi meter on the wire from ignition switch to the coil and at the coil end there is no power at all untill the car is started, once it is running it runs at 14.30v. when i turn ignition off and remove the key it still has 14.30v at the coil.

any ideas on what is happening?

mowgli
09-07-12, 04:58 PM
as i already said. disconnect the coil feed wire (from the ign)

connect the multi meter up to the wire & a suitable earth.

then turn the key until the lights come on on the dash & see what it is reading, then turn it off & see what its doing.

it simply should have 0v when the key is off & 12v-14v when the red lights are on.