PDA

View Full Version : alright guys bit of a iffy question here

turbojolt
04-07-12, 08:46 AM
right not to sure if this will be allowed to stay up, mods delete if not :d

I'm researching how to run and set up nitrous oxide, now to check that the fuel and ignition timing is set up right its advised you do a nitrous run then immediately turn of the engine and come to a stop, to check the state of the spark plugs

the problem with this is if i turn of the ignition whill the car is still moving the steering lock will come on will it not?

(the iffy bit lol) my main question is how do i remove the steering lock?

thanks guys :thumb:

SimonTW
04-07-12, 09:02 AM
Steering lock will only come on if you take the key out of the ignition. Turning it off and rolling to a stop would be fine.

Iain
04-07-12, 09:02 AM
Does it have to be literally seconds after the run? An internal killswitch would kill the engine and leave the key in the correct position to not enable the steering lock.

turbojolt
04-07-12, 09:08 AM
Does it have to be literally seconds after the run? An internal killswitch would kill the engine and leave the key in the correct position to not enable the steering lock.

yer apprantly, the theroy is once the nitrous and fuel jets have stopped and your just running n/a it will change the colour of the plugs, so you wont be able to gauge if your running rich or lean

paul080803
04-07-12, 09:08 AM
No problem remvoing the steering lock on your own car anyway, it is not a legal requirement. However you do need to advise your insurance company as it is a security device and they will adjust the premium accordingly. (clearly you need to tell them about the nitrous)

However I would go down the kill switch route if you really want to and that will enable the key to remain in the 'on' position.

Or a dyno?

turbojolt
04-07-12, 09:12 AM
the kill switch idea does sound the best bet, i wasn't worried about it being a legal requirement on my behalf, just if the mods thought some dodgy ****ers will use the knowledge lol

autoworksnovasport
04-07-12, 10:02 AM
anything to do with forced induction nitrous ect go on vauxsport :)

Mike
04-07-12, 05:43 PM
Just do a static test if your scared of steering lock crashes then.

turbojolt
04-07-12, 06:21 PM
Just do a static test if your scared of steering lock crashes then.

ive read about it, but i was thinking a test underload would be better

gteben
04-07-12, 07:07 PM
right not to sure if this will be allowed to stay up, mods delete if not :d

:thumb:

why would they delete this post anyways it is in mechanical ??

turbojolt
04-07-12, 07:08 PM
why would they delete this post anyways it is in mechanical ??

becuase the info about removing a steering lock could be use by little conts

gteben
04-07-12, 07:13 PM
i see a point there. but its also pretty good thing to know... if your steering lock is jammed