PDA

View Full Version : new motor bit of advise needed :)

Phil_d
03-07-12, 10:20 PM
Just bought a new(to me) car its a j reg bmw 320, was very cheap so just couldnt refuse, i like my low cars but speed bumps are crushing the sills so its a bit unusable, what are peoples opinions, i cant measure the gap i need to lower it by from standard because i dont know how big the gap will be, anyone lowered one from standard any advise on how low to go? any advise welcome :)

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/phildgsxr/IMAG0002_COVER.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/phildgsxr/IMAG0002_COVER-1.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/phildgsxr/IMAG0008.jpg

steviegsi
03-07-12, 10:22 PM
Take the hoooge spoiler off and the weight decrease may raise it a bit . lol

Sorry i have nothing useful to ad :)

Novasport
03-07-12, 10:35 PM
Thats proper fcuked the sills, not good.

AndrewJenkins
03-07-12, 11:30 PM
closer picks of the damage?

Phil_d
04-07-12, 12:19 AM
Luckily its only the plastic sills that have taken the damage but before I get it on the road I want to make it at least usable, when I go to the unit tomorrow night il try get some better pics of the sills.

staggy_gsi
04-07-12, 12:28 AM
well is it on coilovers or chopped springs? if it's on coilys just wind 'em up til you get it right, but if it's 'rollin' on choppers for't coppers' bin them off and get some proper lowering springs, 50mm should still sit it pretty low

L33 LEG
04-07-12, 12:29 AM
I dont quite understand the question, you wanting to know how low you should go without making the sills catch?

60mm should look really low but should never catch. I have my E36 much lower and i only really catch the exhaust and the sills slightly just getting out of my drive. If you like your cars low then i would suggest some coilovers so you can adjust to what you like the look of and not catching. If you're interested i hace some rear shocks/springs with adjusters for sale and in the near future i will have some fronts for sale.

novadave24
04-07-12, 01:21 AM
looks good mate do the wheels black :)

Phil_d
04-07-12, 10:31 AM
I'm wanting it low but not undrivable, just wanting to know if anyone's had any experience lowering one and how low people suggest I was thinking about buying some cheap -60 mm springs, I'm told its just on springs but when I go to the unit tonight il check and see what its sat on.

Nova-nation
04-07-12, 10:40 AM
Just go buy Jom or blue line coil overs, most people say they're crap, but the e36 ones are brilliant!

Loose the gay spoiler, put m sport black wheels on it, and find an m3 bumper!

paul080803
04-07-12, 11:07 AM
Change the whels, they are not E36 wheels. Ditch the rear spoiler and M3 front bumper. Set of coilovers and raise it up a bit and it will look nice!

L33 LEG
04-07-12, 03:39 PM
I'm wanting it low but not undrivable, just wanting to know if anyone's had any experience lowering one and how low people suggest I was thinking about buying some cheap -60 mm springs, I'm told its just on springs but when I go to the unit tonight il check and see what its sat on.

Like nova-nation says, get yourself some cheap coilovers. I bought some for a E36 convertible, was something like £150 brand new (hottuning iirc) and the ride was great tbh and went proper low if you ever wanted it to.

60mm should be fine, i used to have mine 60mm front and back and if it wasnt for the old splitter i had on it would never catch. If you want some pictures or ideas you can try find some in my project thread lol

Phil_d
04-07-12, 10:51 PM
Well been down to do some work on it tonight, turns out they arent plastic sills that are damaged they have just ben painted, luckily the pictures make them look worse than they actually are, was going to take some pics but my phone had run out of battery, had a bit of a look around it and its not in bad shape, need 2 rear tyres as they have no tread at all! its sat on very low springs so i think the plan of attack is to just put some -60mm springs in for now and then possibly coilovers at a later date, dont want to spend much money on it as im unsure if im going to keep it, to my suprise its got drilled and grooved discs all round, m3 rear bumper, m3 rear lights, m3 steering wheel and m3 gear knob and gaiter, cheers for the advise everyone.

Bubba
05-07-12, 12:16 AM
this low...oh and 2.5/2.8 it...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/532969_10151821293365711_1703808817_n.jpg

novadave24
05-07-12, 11:14 AM
my mate had the same bmw as yours he lowered it by 60mm and 17s only hit bumps if went fast over them a very good car to drift as well :thumb:

Phil_d
05-07-12, 11:41 AM
Iv got some 17" m sport wheels of some sort at my dads that need a refurb so I was thinking about them when its raised up, just going to try and make it look nice for as little as possible because as it stands iv only got 100 quid in it so its just a cheap toy to have a bit of a play in then decide what I'm going to do with it at a later date :)