PDA

View Full Version : Tinted windows

Mark
30-07-03, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know the legal stance on tinted windows ie. which windows and grade of tint etc.

Cjscooby
30-07-03, 10:17 PM
as far as i know you can have any tint you like on the rear quater an rear screen but only light smoke on the front ones, i have light smoke all round at the moment and had no problem from the police an have been pulled over for tyre checks an stuff a few times with them done with nothing said, but i am goin to get Limo black on the rears an the company i rang said you can have anything you want on them

Hope this helps mate

Cj

Mark
30-07-03, 10:20 PM
Thanks, I have just finshed building a GTE for a friend, he asked for limo tint all round execpt the front screen and to hell with the legal side so I fitted it for him but was just wondering.

Aragorn
30-07-03, 10:22 PM
u cannot apply any kind of tinting FILM to the windscreen - u can buy tinted windscreens but they are only slightly tinted normally and certainly wont be as dark as light smoke

fronts can go to about light smoke level and still be legal

the rest u can do what u want (ie think of vans n shit)

Mark
30-07-03, 10:27 PM
Yes, he decided that as rear seats were being removed and entire Ice instal was going to take it place he did not want people seeing in.
Does look wicked though.
Finshed modding the car today, being sent off the finish the paint work later in the week but I have fitted Spax coilovers (70mm front and 60mm back) five spokes, flush tail, Gte running K&N and fuel boost, single wiper etc Have to admit the car looks pretty darn good and runs VERY well.

Aragorn
30-07-03, 10:38 PM
my mate did that to his pug (limo blakc all round) - then realised that he couldnt even see his wing mirrors at night so ended up ripping it out

Mark
30-07-03, 10:41 PM
Yes, not to big on it myself but it's his choice. Does look good on a black car with black lights etc. Like this one.

Anton
31-07-03, 12:56 PM
isnt the legal limit for front sides 75%?

Dave
31-07-03, 01:05 PM
yup anton you is right the front windows must let 75% light through
the rear you can do whatever you like with as after it's been timted technically it's classed as a van

dave.gsi
31-07-03, 01:07 PM
if its classed as a van it must have both door mirrors.

Anton
31-07-03, 01:17 PM
i wanted light smoke all round, but corsa windows already have 75% etched on them

Ste_Nova
31-07-03, 01:43 PM
so get some windows out of a base model corsa with no tinting

dikharvey
31-07-03, 01:46 PM
The fronts are 25% max and the rears are 50% max.

Nova-Boy
31-07-03, 02:56 PM
You can have the back ones blacked but the front sides have to be no more than 30% tine (light smoke) The front window can not be tinted unless is slightly tinted my the manufacturer.

Breeny
31-07-03, 03:03 PM
Pentagon window tech in Watford told me a light smoke on the front sides and rear window is legal, you can have whatever you want on the rear side windows.

I had light smoke all round, and a darker shade on the rear screen. In the dark they look pimp, in the light they look very subtle.

They look dark here
http://www.breeny.co.uk/18s15.jpg

And look a lot lighter here (not a brilliant pic but you get the idea)
http://www.breeny.co.uk/18s16.jpg

Edit, sorry better pic of the windows when there lighter here (Same windows, different car)
http://www.breeny.co.uk/redcar5.jpg