PDA

View Full Version : Spongey brakes.

BROD
03-07-12, 09:14 PM
Hi all, the problem I’m having is the brakes seem awful spongy! They are Astragte brakes with a gte servo with unknown pads. There seems to be a lot oftravel from when you first put your foot on the brake to when they start towork and when they do, they aren’t the best and with the 2.0 8v under thebonnet they aren’t too reassuring!

I haven’t tried bleeding them yet as i haven’t had chance with work but mymate who i bought the car off assures me that there is no air in the system! Eitherway I’m going to bleed them. What’s the best fluid to use? And am i better offreplacing it all together in case its boiled a few times in the past? Couldanother cause of this be overheating the brakes and the pads glazing orhardening? If so what pads would you recommend as I’d like to change the padsanyway, I’m also planning on rebuilding the drums in the future.

Cheers, Brad.

Benn
03-07-12, 09:18 PM
Bleeding is the first place to start dude.

mowgli
03-07-12, 09:46 PM
the first place to start is to service your rear brakes. The self adjusters are as much use as bulls tits. So, slacken the handbrake cables, take the drums off, remove the wear lip with a grinder, clean up the adjusters & copper grease them, then adjust them up so they only just clear the shoes. Re fit the drums & adjust the handbrake, then bleed the brakes properly. If there is excessive travel in the rears, the fronts will never be right, as all the fluid goes to pushing the rear cylinders.

Asa-James
03-07-12, 09:56 PM
^ this man speaks sense. you will go far one day Mowgli... possibly lincoln...

BROD
03-07-12, 10:05 PM
Thanks mowgli! ive got thursday off work so will try to get it done then and report back (Y)

mowgli
03-07-12, 10:48 PM
^ this man speaks sense. you will go far one day Mowgli... possibly lincoln...

But i don't want to go to lincoln