PDA

View Full Version : Best coilovers?

BROD
02-07-12, 08:32 PM
Im hoping to get my hands on some coilovers in the next few months to sort out the handling and ride height. Whats the best coilovers to go for? (1990 mk1)
Ive heared of the fk coilovers and ofcourse gaz, ive also seen some mega priced koni sets for over a grand but not keen on paying that much as its still a road car. Id like to stay around the £500 mark, any suggestions or advice very welcome :)
cheers

Pistol Pete
02-07-12, 08:36 PM
£500 will buy you a set of Gaz.

paul080803
02-07-12, 08:43 PM
For £500 budget best would be Gaz!!

BROD
02-07-12, 08:56 PM
Cheers both, im going to re-phrase my question though hahaaa. Its currently got corsa b (i think) struts springs and dampers. The type of driving i want it to be quickest in is country lanes and roads that are abit rough, not just dual carriageways and nice tarmac, i suppose for all intents and purposes you could call it a tarmac rally setup. What am i best investing my money in to improve handling?
thanks for your time

Pistol Pete
02-07-12, 09:32 PM
Hmmm, might be better with decent shocks and springs. Having said that, I bought Gaz for mine. Same use as you. My XE Nova isnt my everyday car. TBH i was expecting the ride to be really harsh, but its ok.

Stuart
02-07-12, 09:44 PM
Coil overs with correctly specced springs will be fine IMHO.

But springs and dampers are only half the game.... Getting the geo right is key along with new bushes etc.

BROD
03-07-12, 05:57 AM
Thanks both. I'm also planning on polybushing it at the same time, good idea? The cars got a 20ne and f20 box, full interior trim and seats as its my everyday motor, any suggestions as to what spring rate to start at? And (yes I'm a pain in the ****) you wouldn't be ale to give me and idea on setting up geometry would you? I take it youre talking camber and toe?
Thanks for the replies fellas, very helpful

Stuart
03-07-12, 09:20 AM
Camber, toe, castor, thrust angle etc yes. The Nova build manual with tarmac settings is a fairly good start for figures.

For springs and dampers, imho go stiffer than you think on the springs and back the damping out for a compliant but good car.
I'd fit OEM rubber bushes personally but they are either impossible to get or a feck load more expensive than ploys :(

BROD
03-07-12, 07:20 PM
Where can I get hold of a build manual mate? And could anyone link me to the coilovers I need as there's a few different types from gaz? ...ill keep my eye out for some oem bushes mate and what spring weight and ride height would you recommend starting with? The car is pretty low on the front! And the front end feels much too stiff going into bumpy corners

Stuart
03-07-12, 07:29 PM
IMHO 350lb springs minimum and softer damping. The stiff feeling most people get is due to soft springs and damping set to max which is bad.

SimonTW
03-07-12, 07:46 PM
Build manual

http://www.opel-blitz.lv/files/NovaCompetitionBuildGuide.pdf

BROD
03-07-12, 08:47 PM
Cheers both. Wheres the best place to order the coilovers from? and do i specify what spring weight i want when i order? 350lb just on the front ?

Mieran
03-07-12, 09:46 PM
gaz coilovers are over ratted imo

Pistol Pete
03-07-12, 09:49 PM
gaz coilovers are over ratted imo

Is that a VW scene thing?

Stuart
03-07-12, 09:51 PM
It's a VX/Elise thing too..... Because they don't cost £300 per corner they are slated.

BROD
03-07-12, 10:07 PM
Gaz would be a good option to go for then yes?

Stuart
03-07-12, 10:10 PM
Unless you fancy spending a grand then they are the best option IMHO.

BROD
03-07-12, 10:25 PM
Thanks for clearing that up stuart. Out of interest, whats available for a grand and what difference am i likely to see on a road car?

Stuart
03-07-12, 10:41 PM
You won't see a damn but of difference on a road car, and mabe a few seconds a lap on track.

BROD
03-07-12, 10:43 PM
I think ill keep my wallet £500 quid heavier then cheers mate (Y) hahahaa. Thanks for the help, i should have my hands on a set in the next few months. What spring rate should i go front and back as i know the front in theory should be harder

SimonTW
04-07-12, 09:10 AM
Is the main advantage of the GAZ simply it comes with a proper rear coilover?

turbojolt
04-07-12, 09:14 AM
they can be rebuilt aswell which alot of other cheap makes cant spax rsx for example

SimonTW
04-07-12, 09:26 AM
Spax rsx can be rebuilt. They aren't sealed units on the front. The damper inserts and dampers are so they are just replaced which normally works out cheaper.

turbojolt
04-07-12, 09:49 AM
really i read that spax wouldnt rebuild them quoting 'there a sealed unit', might get mine done then lol

SimonTW
04-07-12, 09:55 AM
I've been looking at a set for mine so asked about the rebuild options. They are really well priced at the moment though so I don't know how close to the retail price a rebuild would work out to be.

gearbox90
04-07-12, 03:54 PM
you can have the gaz ones valved too your preferences aswell i beleave.

Pistol Pete
04-07-12, 05:32 PM
Ring Gaz and talk it over with them. Really helpful chaps. I told them i was using them for fast road/occasional track days with an XE lump. They suggested spring rates etc.

BROD
05-07-12, 01:18 PM
Great help guys! ill give them a call when im ready to get some on order :) thanks for the help!