PDA

View Full Version : *how to *GTE/GSi Side Skirt Fitting

Pistol Pete
01-07-12, 11:23 AM
Some of you will want to fit these, but dont have the studs for the clips. Tiger seal is a good way, but i struggled with this. So i set about fitting the clips.

I have taken some pics and made a note of the measurements. I still have to do the pother side, so i will record any additional measurements needed.

You may have a better way of doing this, so feel free to add.

Pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Pete_58/IMAG0158edit.jpg

These are the basic measurements for the clip locations. 20mm from the bottom of the sill should see the centre line for you screw holes. The skirt side has a channel of 40mm long. The screws need to be 30mm apart. Each skirt channel is a smidge over 6" apart. The rear fin section only has one clip location channel.

Also, the front wing holes need to be about 20mm in from the edge. The fixing for the rear fin is about 3.5" from the last clip on the long section.

Iain
06-07-12, 03:39 PM
20mm is the measurement I was wondering how to get! Thanks.

Assume it's easy enough to find the position of the clip along the sill by holding the skirt up, there's a bit of leeway to be a few mm left or right and it still clipping in to place?

Pistol Pete
06-07-12, 07:32 PM
If you can hold off, i am planning to fit the other side this weekend. I plan to get the measurements i forgot to take when making this guide lol

But, for finding the position, my method...

Nut and bolt through the clip. Cut the bolt off a few mm above the nut and file into a point. Fit the clip to the skirt with the point facing the sill. Masking tape should be along the sill to help scribble if needed. Press hard and the point should mark the tape/sill. Then all i did was manually measure (quite a few times lol) and mark the tape.

Hope that makes sense lol

Iain
10-07-12, 10:43 AM
Would a measurement from the swage line to the top of the skirt fin be helpful in order to make sure the fins are straight?

Pistol Pete
10-07-12, 09:36 PM
I marked were the one clip needed to be on the sill. Held the rear section in place and drilled a hole on the inside flange of the wheel arch for a bolt. Not hard to get it straight IMO.

Paul
12-07-12, 07:25 PM
I put the clips on the back of the skirt painted them then lined it up on the car then pushed along it to mark the sill with paint. I then removed the clips riveted them On the sill and voila.

Iain
12-07-12, 07:34 PM
Those measurements were very useful. Maybe if anything a tiny amount less than 20mm from the bottom, and about 30mm from the door shut/top of the sill.

Pistol Pete
12-07-12, 09:45 PM
Sounds about right. Also, the front wing holes need to be about 20mm in from the edge. The fixing for the rear fin is about 3.5" from the last clip on the long section.

Iain
14-07-12, 05:53 PM
Finally finished fitting mine after much faffing! Here's some tips

Tigerseal/sealants to attach the clips don't work (cue many 'I told you so's lol). It sticks to the paint OK but refuses to adhere to the white clips? I tried two different sealants
I ended up using 6x1 self tappers from Screwfix to attach the white clips
Hold up the skirt and mark vertical lines on the sill where each clip should be. You can be a few mm either way and it still fit fine.
Measure 30mm down from the top of the sill/door shut line along the vertical lines and draw a horizontal line. This will ensure the skirt sits flush with the door shut
Measure 15mm left and right where the vertical and horizontal lines meet and mark these points. These are where you should drill the holes
Use Pauls method above for the remaining clips where you can't measure down from the door shut (e.g. wing, end of straight after door shut, rear fin). You can put a dab of paint on the little sticky-out bit on the back of the clip so it leaves two dots

TOZNOVA81
19-09-15, 12:09 AM
Found this from GM

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q633/TozNovaGsi/L393KET%20Hungovernova%20Turbo/Side%20skirt%20measurement%201_zpsn2yu55t6.jpg