PDA

View Full Version : Squeak

dannymcc
29-06-12, 02:07 PM
After my MK1 was off the air for a few days, I heard this random squeaking noise when I started it up. I think the auxiliary/fan/alternator belt has perished or something...
Is it a big job to change this belt?
Cheers.

marc69
29-06-12, 02:24 PM
no, you just loosen the bracket, slide the altenator until you can remove the old belt. Putting the new one is is the reverse apart from getting it fairly (but no too taught).

dannymcc
29-06-12, 02:26 PM
no, you just loosen the bracket, slide the altenator until you can remove the old belt. Putting the new one is is the reverse apart from getting it fairly (but no too taught).
All right cheers Marc. :)

paul james
29-06-12, 07:00 PM
Easy job, have you not got a Nova Haynes manual? There should be half an inch of movement, when you push with your thumb on the belt midway between the pulleys. It helps having another pair of hands to keep the alternator puhed back while you tighten it up.

EwanG
29-06-12, 07:30 PM
Hey Danny. Does the belt look cracked or worn? If it needs replaced the squeak will be more noticeable when wet. Does the noise change when you rev the engine? It might even be the altenator bearing or waterpump bearing?

dannymcc
29-06-12, 10:21 PM
Cheers for the help guys. Got the old belt off anyway, took all of two minutes. lol It does look quite cracked tbh, lots of tiny bits of rubber around the engine bay now so I presume it is the belt that's at fault.