PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 to 17.td

marcwn4536
27-06-12, 11:51 PM
hi i have a nova mk2 saloon with a 1.2 carbengine.i want to fit a cavalier 1.7 td lump,any help issues and parts info would be great thanks marc lol

novalee
01-07-12, 09:57 AM
The engine mountings on the body are different on a diesel nova and are in a different place the diesel has a hole in chaisis leg on drivers side so its not a straight forward swap

mowgli
01-07-12, 10:15 AM
to fit the 1.7td, you'll need mostly the same stuff as you would to fit a redtop, but i seem to remember that the timing cover end of the engine needs swapping for 1.5td stuff so it will fit, but i'm not 100% certain.

have a good read thru the projects section, as its definitely been done a few times

burgo
01-07-12, 10:18 AM
You'll need a diesel nova as a donor before you even start, once you have that I'll explain further

bazil
03-07-12, 05:52 AM
Petrol chassis leg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/pics/sales/0d44dc32.jpg

DIESEL CHASSIS LEG

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/pics/sales/PA090077.jpg

Also dont be fooled into thinking you can just cut the derv mount out and weld into a petrol chassis nova. The Diesel chassis leg is double skinned and reinforced for the extra torque of the engine

And before anyone says " but the count done it " he use a GSI shell which also has a double skinned reinforced chassis leg,

Count Vaux Alot
04-07-12, 08:48 PM
Brazil's correct :)

Jon_nova1
04-07-12, 09:06 PM
i just got a 1.5 alternator and mount and fabricated an engine mount that sat on the petrol mount using the power steering mount points on the engine

Balley
04-07-12, 09:49 PM
Also dont be fooled into thinking you can just cut the derv mount out and weld into a petrol chassis nova. The Diesel chassis leg is double skinned and reinforced for the extra torque of the engine

And before anyone says " but the count done it " he use a GSI shell which also has a double skinned reinforced chassis leg,

True But I would just welded a nice thick piece of two mm plate on the outside like say a HH plate but make it full sized, a few plug welds and a nice seam and then try bending that, infact after looking at mine I would say it would be a lot stronger than original.

You could use a carb petrol tank, lots have done it.

Fuel lines can be made out of copper.

Fuel filter can go any where,

and use the Cav mount like I have with mine TD, much stronger than the Nova crap.

Like mowgi said use the F18 and the 2ltr rear gear box spacer and some kinda shafts