PDA

View Full Version : Phil Suttons 5 door.

burgo
27-06-12, 10:42 PM
Anyone got any pictures of it?

nova ian
27-06-12, 10:59 PM
Wow, that's a blast from the past, this was the first ever XE nova I went in!

Only one's I could find :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cruisindude/31072005001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cruisindude/31072005003.jpg

Markd89
27-06-12, 11:01 PM
how did it catch fire ?

nova ian
27-06-12, 11:03 PM
Can't remember the exact cause now, think he was on the way to Pod. Some years ago now!

burgo
27-06-12, 11:04 PM
lol i was kind of expecting the burnt out pictures to turn up

John
27-06-12, 11:05 PM
fuel line split iirc.

nova ian
27-06-12, 11:07 PM
lol i was kind of expecting the burnt out pictures to turn up

lol it was a nice looking nova, pulled off a kit really well, would be good to see some pics of it in it's former glory though! Anyone ever heard from Phil by the way? He still got the TVR?

burgo
27-06-12, 11:11 PM
he was on not long ago selling some bits. his is the only 5 door i have ever liked and now that i have a silver 5 door want to get some ideas

John
27-06-12, 11:12 PM
Pics :)

jeremy fisher
28-06-12, 04:52 PM
I was in that when it caught fire! I think I may have taken those pics.
Think the TVRs long gone and he's all grown up.
He was racing a Civic Type R and then things got very smokey inside the car. Pulled over and minutes later it was a fire ball. Fuel onto the exhaust I think. On way to pod to look at American muscle to buy.

Mike
28-06-12, 06:02 PM
Proper blast from the past!

Spudly
28-06-12, 09:02 PM
I thought it was the carbs, either way he was on the way to PVS circa '05 when it went up on the motorway, iirc him and his mate had time to pull over, bail and take the phot as posted earlier, it went up that quick, im sure i remember reading that the fire was already catching the dash as he was trying to force people out of his way in lanes two and one trying to get it off the carriageway and get out of the car, mustve been fooking scary!!

jeremy fisher
29-06-12, 12:47 PM
Fire definately started under the car, we got out and it was just smoking a lot then stood on the bank for a minute or so and then noticed flames under the car an then it was too late. The worst bit for me was, what the hell do you say to someone when you're watching their pride and joy burn! He was hoping his carbs were ok but then the fire brigade opened the bonnet and there was just the butterflies sat there and a load of melted alloy. You can see in one of the photos that his wheels melted so dont think carbs stood a chance!!

burgo
29-06-12, 11:50 PM
:( seems no one has pics then, was a long shot i guess

Liam
30-06-12, 12:07 AM
A bit of searching and this is the thread about the fire. It has a couple more pictures of the fire: CLICKHERE (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?52591-The-5-door-has-died)

Southie
30-06-12, 07:55 AM
I want to see what this car looked like before the fire now, surely Craig Greens got a random picture of it in his archives.

Edd
30-06-12, 08:30 AM
That looks proper scary

BRoadGhost
30-06-12, 01:45 PM
Who here has an xe without a fire extinguisher..?

Spudly
30-06-12, 04:21 PM
Who here has an xe without a fire extinguisher..?

I did until the other day, was always on my 'i must get one' list but finally grabbed a 'flamebeater' from work the other day, priced at cost +vat i couldnt refuse, our rrp on it was £17.99 and i got it for £5.99 lol

Going to buy another next week and get one for the astra too, still looking at proper plumbed in systems though, basic ones can be had for £150 which is bugger all imo when it comes to the cost of your car, not to mention the time and effort of building it in the first place!

turbojolt
30-06-12, 04:26 PM
think I'm going to be buying one, the heat that comes off a car fire like that is unreal!!!

Edd
30-06-12, 04:29 PM
Ah but if you build/maintain your to a high standard mechanically its not very likely to catch fire

If you have a split fuel line a fire extinguisher aint doing much lol

turbojolt
30-06-12, 04:32 PM
fuel shouldn't just go up because of a fuel leak on a hot surface should it?

Spudly
30-06-12, 04:41 PM
Ah but if you build/maintain your to a high standard mechanically its not very likely to catch fire

Utter bollocks, anything can and does fail, just because youve put your hand in your poscket and bought good stuff, doesnt mean that its not going to break, i admit its less likely but things happen, hell if new cars can randomly catch fire through things failing, a 20 odd year old nova whether its been built with all new bits or not, has exactly the same chances of thermal incidents, look at Andy's pug for example, we all know the lengths he has gone to in rebuilding his engine and prepping his bay, his alt caught fire when he first ran it up to temp to check for leaks!

Bubba
30-06-12, 09:38 PM
fuel shouldn't just go up because of a fuel leak on a hot surface should it?

my cav fuel line split and was spraying a fine mist across my engine inc onto the manifold...somehow it didnt go boom

turbojolt
30-06-12, 09:47 PM
petrol is a stable fluid it need a spark or a naked flame this guys motor must have had someother problems aswell

Novasport
30-06-12, 09:48 PM
I had a fuel leak on my 1380cc Mini. The engine had a lot of movement even with a competition engine steady fitted. I was giving it some beans and I had a strong smell of petrol then it cut out. Flipped the bonnet to find the carb had gone back with the engine and split the fuel line against the bulkhead. On Mini's the exhaust manifold is under the carb and the fuel was pouring all over it with smoke coming off it. Luckily it did not go up.
TBH fuel is not as flammable in a liquid state as the vapours.

Bubba
30-06-12, 09:56 PM
petrol is a stable fluid it need a spark or a naked flame this guys motor must have had someother problems aswell

if it was a fine mist from say a pinhole...it would have gone up a lot easier tbh.

turbojolt
30-06-12, 10:05 PM
even then it should still just have vapourised,

Southie
30-06-12, 10:11 PM
even then it should still just have vapourised,

Bolllocks tbh, I've seen 16xe_chris have to put a fire out on his old Rally Nova when a Conrod spat out at great speed, which spat a shard of metal out somehow onto the fuel filter... which then spat fuel all over his engine bay, then splash, piiss and pour all over his manifold to which set alight... this totally knackered his engine but luckily not the whole car.
Fire extinguishers under the bonnet luckily worked btw ;)

BRoadGhost
01-07-12, 03:45 PM
Flamebeaters are a bit toytown due to their small size; you can get one for about £13 that's twice the capacity. It looks better proportioned too.

I've had under bonnet fires before due to brake / clutch fluid touching the exhaust, no matter how well you build something or maintain it believe me when I say anything can happen.

mk1nova_rich
01-07-12, 11:04 PM
I always kept a fire extinguisher in my Nova, necessity IMO

A lot of people keep them in the boot which seems pretty pointless

Andy
01-07-12, 11:09 PM
I am all for fire exes.Anyone with owt old should have one,as i said in me project thread,even if the car's totalled,save yaself!!

mk1nova_rich
01-07-12, 11:14 PM
Agree with Andy, even if its just to hold the fire back so you can get everyone out safely

General Baxter
02-07-12, 01:10 AM
fire rats ftw,

you all know what happened to me, t45's in my cav, lol

it back fired and ignited the fuel vapor in the carbs, that was a good day :)

Mazz
02-07-12, 03:54 PM
So any pics pre-fire then?

Spudly
02-07-12, 06:58 PM
Flamebeaters are a bit toytown due to their small size; you can get one for about £13 that's twice the capacity. It looks better proportioned too.

I've had under bonnet fires before due to brake / clutch fluid touching the exhaust, no matter how well you build something or maintain it believe me when I say anything can happen.

Agreed, which is why im going to order another one at least for the nova and one for the astra tomorrow at work. and i totally agree, it doesnt matter how much was spent on the build, be it time, preperation or money, anything can and quite often does happen, and as Andy said, even if the car is a total loss, it could come in handy to assist you to get yourself and your passengers out and keep them safe, you might even find youre pointing your fire extinguisher at people and not cars!

TWAG
02-07-12, 07:17 PM
:( seems no one has pics then, was a long shot i guess

I'm pretty sure I've got some pics, I'll dig them out later tonight and upload them.

Adam
02-07-12, 08:56 PM
Ive got pics from "back in the day" but they'll be buried within my old pc somewhere lol

I remember the day that went up. Scary stuff even just seeing the pics, it melted a hole straight through the gearbox like it was made from plastic. :eek:

Riggy
02-07-12, 09:08 PM
I've got a load on my pc , even got some of it when it was still a 1.4 lol

I'm in Crete till wed morning though so I'll upload them when I get back :)

BRoadGhost
03-07-12, 01:46 PM
You can get a good one for about £13 from the camping section of Halfrauds

Perfect place to put it too:-

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n321/scoob500/022-1.jpg