PDA

View Full Version : Issues from fitting coilovers

rick_89
25-06-12, 09:47 PM
Finally managed to fit coilovers with the great help from you guys and it looks great really happy with it for a first attempt. Only problem is the steering has gone really light as though it has power steering. Can anyone shed any light on this please??

Thanks Rick

Dan Stanley
25-06-12, 09:54 PM
Probably because now its sitting on its **** (I presume), you've got more camber. Which, in theory, should mean theres less of a contact patch of front tyre on the ground meaning less resistance to turning your wheels. Simply put, your front wheels are now at more of an angle and less tyre is touching the floor.

John
25-06-12, 09:55 PM
have you had the wheel alignment checked after fitting? my guess is it's now miles out after lowering. How much have you lowered by?

Stuart
25-06-12, 09:56 PM
And raping your front tyres.... Get the camber and toe sorted.

rick_89
25-06-12, 10:04 PM
Not had it checked as only just finished fitting. Is this something i can sort or will i have to take to a garage ive dropped about 80mm cud go lower but think its low enough for now

John
25-06-12, 11:10 PM
do you have your own wheel alignment gauges/equipment? if not take it to a garage. Ask for a full wheel alignment check, not just tracking (toe) hth :)

Iain
25-06-12, 11:31 PM
As above really, unfortunately you're looking at around £30-50 for a 4 wheel alignment check/setup (Judging by the several local quotes I got here) and if the camber turns out to be really bad, another go at setting up the toe once the camber is sorted. Make sure you're happy with the ride height before you take it too as changing this can affect the toe too.

craig green
26-06-12, 09:38 PM
Are you on narrow tyres?

I found on standard wheels & lowered 60mm there was light steering & no grip at all. Ditto the camber issues mentioned above though.