PDA

View Full Version : Best way to removal nova windscreen with out breaking?

Big_Chap
22-06-12, 12:45 PM
As title really!

L33 LEG
22-06-12, 12:56 PM
I've always used a screwdriver and just be really careful lol

Mark
22-06-12, 01:02 PM
sharp blade all the way around the seal and then just lift out...

Jeff16v
22-06-12, 01:08 PM
Screwdriver on the inside pushing the rubber over the lip, work along until one side and corner and 50% of either bottom or top is out, then wiggle.

GRUNT 16V
22-06-12, 01:16 PM
sod the screw driver !!!!!!! push the rubber out with your hands ! fingers working your way round start at one of the top corners

Jon_nova1
22-06-12, 01:21 PM
Do you need the seal? if you don't just cut the outside then the window will just fall out, takes about 2 minutes

Pistol Pete
22-06-12, 01:30 PM
Yeah just cut the seal. Cant see a part for a 10+ year old car being NLS at Vauxhall lol. Pikey method.

Just work slowly around the seal tucking it in, then lift it out. A second pair of hands might be of some use. If available.

Big_Chap
22-06-12, 02:12 PM
Cool so fingers from the inside then!?

Yeah we'd like the rubber intact too

Cheers!

davidfox280585
22-06-12, 02:15 PM
cut the seal everytime and get one from someone breaking a car or colin smith,not worth the risk to be honest

Mark
22-06-12, 02:34 PM
Yeah just cut the seal. Cant see a part for a 10+ year old car being NLS at Vauxhall lol. Pikey method.

Plenty available cheaply from any windscreen company. And far better than risking the price of a screen especially if like mine it is heated...Hardly Pikey, more common sense...

Mark
22-06-12, 02:40 PM
Here's one I bought last week (same as the one I bought a year ago..lol)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjgtMjAxMDA0MTktMTYzN.jpg

Big_Chap
22-06-12, 03:05 PM
Here's one I bought last week (same as the one I bought a year ago..lol)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/NovaSaloon/utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjgtMjAxMDA0MTktMTYzN.jpg

From where mate? Gonna be a drive in drive out job

mk1nova_rich
22-06-12, 03:29 PM
I'd also recommend cutting the seal too, old ones are usually shagged anyway lol

Pistol Pete
22-06-12, 03:48 PM
Didnt think you would be able to get a seal new TBH. lol @ my 10+ years old comment. More like 20!!

I managed to get mine out no trouble. But yeah, see what you mean about the screen. As my new one is heated too.

Royston
22-06-12, 04:41 PM
I removed the screen from the SR by.....

sitting in the centre of the car, straddling the seats, placed a foot (wearing soft rubber soles) in each of the top corners speading the load and gently applied pressure, bit at a time, don't rush, you will then hear the seal begin to give, and see the lip move through, stop every so often and inspect the seal and see how it is progressing, once the top of the screen is out it is easy.

There is obviously a risk of breaking the screen, but I've done 3 no problem, might be better if it is a warm day or in a warm building to soften the black mastic gunk they use as a sealant

paul james
22-06-12, 04:53 PM
They break so much more easily than you'd expect, I cracked mine just by pushing it with my hands a little bit too much, I was trying to be gentle!

Royston
22-06-12, 05:06 PM
Need to avoid point loading the glass, thats why I use my feet, once it has initially moved and the mastic seal has brokenwork the seal lip from the inside with fingers, the push out a little more, the trick it to get the seal to break at the top, need to watch and listen top see whats going on

blue_peg_16v
22-06-12, 09:18 PM
I bust mine the other week so cutting the one out the loon to replace it loon will get a new one when I rebuild it

Mark
29-06-12, 11:42 AM
From where mate? Gonna be a drive in drive out job
Any windcreen company, use yellow pages.

Benn
29-06-12, 01:17 PM
Using yor feet can work very well, my old boss always does it. I use push the seal over the lip on the top two corners, the you can gently push it out.

Only prob with non gen seals are they can be a bit thin and not sit that nicely. I had the same with a rear screen rubber. So searched and found a new GM rubber.