PDA

View Full Version : Break it or keep it ???

Ben (lurk75)
29-07-03, 11:48 PM
I am at one of those decision times again, dont know what to do the choices are...

Break my nova and sell off the parts and call it a day on the whole Nova thing :?:

Sell the Golf as well and buy a decent car with all the money :?:

Sell the Golf and pump even more money into the Nova :?:

Finish the Nova, needs a lot doing to do it, here is a list of a few of the jobs...

Rebuilding the engine
Repainting the engine bay
replacing all 4 arches and having a complete respray
finish fitting the cage wich includes cutting the dash up
getting it running
getting it legal

what do i do, just cant stand looking at it anymore sat there doing nothing :?:

locky
29-07-03, 11:54 PM
Keep it!
All the hard work and effort, ud mite as well keep it!
Sell the golf, and get something else if ur unhappy with it!
The nova is a project, hence its gonna take a loooong time 2 get it how u want it!

burgo
30-07-03, 12:09 AM
u dont wanna break it u already got loads stuff ur trying to get rid of

Ben (lurk75)
30-07-03, 12:11 AM
lol thats because thats what i do, i think it would be very easy to sell the parts of my car, in fact i expect i could have the entire thing sold by the weekend.

Nova-Flair
30-07-03, 12:16 AM
nooooo keep the nova ben. have faith m8 its gonna be the dogs bollox when its finished. its just at that stage where there is still a lot to do and it dosent ever seem like its gonna get finished which is frustrating but stay with it. locky is right, its a project and is gonna take a long time.

burgo
30-07-03, 12:21 AM
i only say that ben cos the latest parts list u put up for sale is exactly the same as the last one u put up

Ben (lurk75)
30-07-03, 12:27 AM
lol thats because it takes about an hour to write one out and its easier to just update a list than re write one, we are selling a load this weekend including:

a gsi interior
2 fuel tanks
a bumper
bonnet
glass set
set of 15" wheels
1600 8v engine
F13 CR
Spoiler
pair of wings
pair of driveshafts
2 sets of clocks
a servo and master cylinder

a few other bits as well, you look at the list and think its all the same, but we have more than one of virtually everything on the list.

Fester
30-07-03, 12:29 AM
and of course weighing up the postage on a GTE manifold

Breeny
30-07-03, 12:34 AM
If you want a nicer car then Id say break it...

Its what I ending up doing to my blue one, got a little money back. The way things are going i'll even do it to my current one :twisted:

Ben (lurk75)
30-07-03, 12:43 AM
as a whole i wouldnt get ?100 for it as it stands, but as i have collected all the best parts i could get selling them would be a piece of p*ss.

brian
30-07-03, 01:00 AM
i didn't realsie ben you need to change arches and wings and do more painting. in that case let it off and make a few qiud on it. i know exactly how you feel. But don't turn yer back on them as you will regret it. as long as you always have another good car the Nova can be a hobby, thats the way i look on it and still enjoy puttin them together even thouigh i swore id never do it again after i rebuilt my gte 5 yeras ago. here i am now are puttin lots of them together.
Let me help ya :roll: let off that one and start with a mint shell. its easy when you have a car so clean its only a case of painting it. Ill be home soon and can source ya a shell and do more to it too if ya want :wink:

Ben (lurk75)
30-07-03, 01:05 AM
problem is all the time thats gone into this one, its either that or nothing. the actual shell is sound, well kind off :? . the rears arent a problem but its just the whole thing :!:

brian
30-07-03, 01:07 AM
don't mention time to me! the car you give out to me about breakin took me 6 months!

burgo
30-07-03, 05:25 AM
well if u were to get ris of the nova wot would u get to replace it ??

Mark
30-07-03, 07:47 AM
Don't do it, you have most of the bits you want, the Nova will be a stonker when finished so put the time to it.

Will F
30-07-03, 09:21 AM
Why not sell both Golf and Nova, then buy a house boat and live on the Bristol Channel?
At least then you wont have to worry about what alloys, suspension, exhaust system to buy etc.

Just an idea.

Jim
30-07-03, 09:29 AM
Sounds to me like Ben's scared of getting his ass wooped by an 8v ;)

Just kidding Ben. It's up to you at the end of the day, but my car's been sat in a horrible state for the last 2 years (well, not horrible, but I've not been happy with it). I've started to buy a few bits for the car and I've got it booked into the bodyshop in a few weeks time. It's all a matter of being patient. Best thing I did was to take time out from the Nova. I totally neglected it for about 2 months prior to the work that I'm going to be doing on it. I can see the final result in my head and It's really motivated me to get it finished. I'm not planning on getting it finished for this year, but my target is Donny next year, if I don't get it finished for Donny, then I'll definatley have it finished for PV04.

So my advice, take some time away from the Nova, do some housework, anything to take your mind of it, then one day, you'll get the motivation again :)

Jim

Ben (lurk75)
30-07-03, 10:20 AM
well if u were to get ris of the nova wot would u get to replace it ??

Been looking at aome Lexus's and a few Merc's.

I am going to get on and try and do a few things this weekend and stop messing about and helping others sort there cars out. Hopefully when i get back in the right state of mind i will get the feel for it again and start to make progress.

If i were to do it my aim would be around the middle of 04 as well Jim.

dan_mk1
30-07-03, 12:01 PM
dont do it ben! i think that cars luuuurvly!
sell the golf and get a nice economical run around (like a 1ltr micra? :wink: )
and spend a bit of time and money on the nova
dont do it ben!

locky
30-07-03, 04:47 PM
If u ever need a hand im only across the water! Dont mind giving peeps a hand like!
As for taking time out, n taking your mind off it, i find that very difficult 2 do lol!
We've all felt like this, if others havent, it will happen! As soon as things start jelling together with the car, the better you'r gonna feel bout it!

Dave
30-07-03, 05:44 PM
everyone gets like this at some point think mike was the last to go through it an his is going well now. it just needs a bit of motivation either a new part or a break from it for a couple of days an suddenly boom off you go again. the shell may be gettin old an a bit tally but new wings/good repalcements are out there an are cheap enough.
would be a waste to jack it all in now as you've put so much hard work into it keep goin with it so you'll be able to stand back when it's done an say 'look what i did!'

hotdogs_r_us
30-07-03, 08:20 PM
sell the golf and the nova and buy a vectra or a newish astra :)

?Marty?
30-07-03, 11:48 PM
Sell both.

I'm thinking of selling mine too. Can't be bothered with it anymore.

Though not sure what would get me more - sell it complete, or strip it for parts? Though i can't be bothered with P&P and etc, and would most likely end up with bits sitting around waiting to be sold for ages and etc.