PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure

phunkynova
17-06-12, 04:48 PM
I've just put my new cylinder head on my 1.4NV and now I have no oil pressure :confused: I have a light and oil gauge both show zero it was fine before I did the head change, can the oil pump just stop working like that or is there an other problem some where ?.
Is the pump easy to change ?.

Jon_nova1
17-06-12, 05:03 PM
is the sensor plugged in properly? and are you hearing the top end rattle?

phunkynova
17-06-12, 05:12 PM
All connected wright, only had running a few seconds and turned off.

mowgli
17-06-12, 05:19 PM
if the gasket was the wrong way round, it would make the flow dead head so the gauge would be off the scale not zero...

i reckon you should check the plug is on correctly & the chassis earth too.

it would rattle like hell with no pressure

phunkynova
17-06-12, 05:37 PM
There was a start to a rattle that's why I turned it off

mowgli
17-06-12, 05:43 PM
take the sender out & turn it over to see if oil is flowing.. if it is, then the gasket might be the wrong way round, and blocking something

phunkynova
17-06-12, 05:47 PM
I'll look at that tomorrow when I'm back at the car but i think it's some thing else, can the pump stop working just like that ?.
As for the head gasket it did have oben/top on it and I'm sure i put it on that way around.

mowgli
17-06-12, 05:52 PM
the pressure reg spring & ball can jam open, i think its quite common on xe's. i've not really heard of it on small blocks, but it could happen.

i had a 1.2 carb that did its rings & the garage bloke reckoned the gauze on the pump pickup was covered in silicone sealant causing starvation.

phunkynova
17-06-12, 05:56 PM
It's just weird it was ok before I did the head. Can't see it being sealant as I don't use it all ways new gaskets.

mowgli
17-06-12, 10:55 PM
but when you do a head gasket swap, you must put some sealant between the cam carrier & the head...

what had happened to mine was that someone had used some crappy silicone that got washed round the engine & stuck to the gauze then set solid.

phunkynova
18-06-12, 06:22 PM
Yes I used the GM green Sealant for the cam carrier to head.
Today I looked at it again checked the oil level 3 times it was OK took the plugs out turned it over, still no pressure, took the oil pressure switch out from the back of the pump housing and turned it over no oil came out.
So I've now taken the pump out of the engine and will replace it.

phunkynova
20-06-12, 07:36 PM
I've got oil pressure now took the pump off the car and cleaned the oil pump pressure relief valve as it was sticking, now works fine :thumb:

tom reid
20-06-12, 08:01 PM
Result

phunkynova
20-06-12, 08:16 PM
Yer thanks Tom

swedge
20-06-12, 08:28 PM
usually here that about xe's

you can buy nylon relief valves from sbd i think but if its gonna stick i dont think it being nylon will change anything as its usualy crap that sticks it

i removed mine on my xe build and wet and dried it till it was gleaming and itmoves very easily now