PDA

View Full Version : Sticking handbrake and advice?

Warlord
29-07-03, 08:37 PM
hi, i am about to buy a f reg nova 1.2 for ?100 which has a sticking handbrake, when it is put on, in order to get it off the cable has to be pulled by hand from the back of the car. any ideas how i could fix this and how much it may cost. i understand that it is hard without specifics but was hopeing for some general advice.

also the door lock barrels are a bit loose in thier sockets, how would i fix this?
the mot runs out in november and i am not too worried about keeping it after that, i basicly need it to learn on, but was hopeing i could easily fix these problems.
by the way i don't know much about cars.
Thankyou.

ade
29-07-03, 11:19 PM
brake cable - sounds like the cables sticking and the springs in the drums are not working properly. When you pull the cable it pulls springs that lock the shoes on the rear drums drums locking them in place.

If its sticking, the springs arent returning or the sliders the cable runs in are clogged up - or the cables so badly worn its kinked (probable).

Best to take it to a garage and get them to replace it - cost you about ?40

DIY - need to buy short and long cable - jack up car, remove wheels, remove druims/bearings and unclup old cables and set new ones up.

Door locks are easier - theyre only held in place with a C clip inside the door.

You need to remove the door card to resecure it. If you get a haynes manual it'll tell you how to do this but heres a basic -

1 - wind window up and remove winder
2 - push circular plastic detail between winder and door card back and you'll see a metal spring clip - prise it off - watch it doesnt ping off!
3 - unscrew the bolts atr the base of the card (about 6)
4 - unscrew the 2 bolts underneath the arm rest (look up from under to see them)
5 - remove the door handle detail (unclip it with a screwdriver careful)
6 - pull the door card off (its on clips)
7 - gently remove the plastic liner
8 - top right is the door mechanism and you'll see the barrel lock with clip
9 - push it back in place or replace the clip
10 - reverse to assemble everything

Ade
:wink: