PDA

View Full Version : Running

Andy_L
13-06-12, 11:35 PM
I'm doing a 10K run in September.

I went out yesterday and did about 3.5 miles (a smidge over 5K I think).

Any training advice or tips?? Or even websites to look at for such advice?

I'm going to have gait (sp) analysis done in the next week and spend some cash on some running trainers as I am just running in trainers currently.

:thumb:

Dan
14-06-12, 06:42 PM
well i have no advice as such as i have only just attempted my second run outside (and my first solo attempt). Defo better to run with somone as they can be a pace setter, i found it easier on my first attempt when with someone. I use an app called endomondo on my phone which tracks your every move and gives good results when looking at what you did. heres my second run i did.............

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/61172107

That was running in the woods mostly once i had done a mile on the road to warm up so abit harder than a normal tarmac jog. I'm not exactly built for running and being a smoker doesnt help but i have to be honest i do enjoy the challenge and it makes a change

mowgli
14-06-12, 07:37 PM
most important.... do not over do it straight away.. going from zero to 5k is potentially quite bad for you.

start off doing short runs, maybe 1-1.5mile, then when they are easy, build up to longer distances..

me, i get knackered running a hot bath, but the wife's friend ran the london marathon & that's what she did..

gazz
14-06-12, 07:49 PM
As mowgli has stated, dont over do it on first few runs.
you could try running for say 10-15 mins then walk for 5 mins and so on. building it up over time.
how long did it take to do 5k ?
i run now and then and im doing 8-9min miles which is not great but i should run more and get it down more.

Old man Jimbo
14-06-12, 07:56 PM
I did a half marathon last year for a bet. You know the kind of thing "I bet you couldn't do that you fat b@57ard!" So I looked up couch potato to 10k etc etc.

You'll be amazed how quick you can get up to pretty big distances if you take your time. I think I went from running for one minute and walking for two minutes up to running 10 miles nonstop in eleven or twelve runs out.

If a fat fekka like me can do it anyone can....

turbojolt
14-06-12, 08:01 PM
well i have no advice as such as i have only just attempted my second run outside (and my first solo attempt). Defo better to run with somone as they can be a pace setter, i found it easier on my first attempt when with someone. I use an app called endomondo on my phone which tracks your every move and gives good results when looking at what you did. heres my second run i did.............

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/61172107

That was running in the woods mostly once i had done a mile on the road to warm up so abit harder than a normal tarmac jog. I'm not exactly built for running and being a smoker doesnt help but i have to be honest i do enjoy the challenge and it makes a change

a body builder that runs? there as rare as rocking horse poo lol

Dan
14-06-12, 09:56 PM
I just like to keep fit as i get older lol, non of this bodybuilder nonsense. My run wasnt that mighty @ 4.5 miles in 38min but its a start as i had plenty left by the time i got back to the car :d

mk1nova_rich
15-06-12, 08:36 AM
I used to love running before I discovered beer, women and cars, then snapping my ankle in two didnt help either lol

To echo above really at not overdoing it...you are much better off doing short runs regularly than doing 10 miles then being ****ed for a week. Setting your pace is the key, I've never actually done more than 5 miles but I could have done if I'd wanted to because I could set my pace perfectly. Try that app Dan posted or find a mate to work with

mk1nova_rich
15-06-12, 08:44 AM
Personally I'd wait til you can run a sub-6 minute mile before thinking about increasing your distance :thumb: