PDA

View Full Version : NOS - whats the deal?

Adam Moran
29-07-03, 06:28 PM
I've been reading about this for a while and many sites say it is "road legal" and as long as you dont abusse it (oversize jets) it dosnt harm youre engine.

The kits are relitivley cheap for what power gain you get.

Does anyone on here use it?

Whats youre general thougt?

Cheers

Ad

Mark
29-07-03, 06:30 PM
I had NOS fitted to my Honda CB1100 Motorbike - oh my god what a rush!

Fester
29-07-03, 06:30 PM
its called 'nitrous oxide', 'NOS' is a brand that makes nitrous oxide kits in the same way that Spax make suspension kits, refering to nitrous as 'NOS' is like refering to all cars that are lowered as having 'Spax' when this isnt the case

the checmical formula for nitrous oxide is 'N20'

it is road legal, jet sizes unimportant regards legality.

Never used it or been in a car with it, the 'Wizards of NOS' kits appear to be the best though

Stuart
29-07-03, 06:31 PM
?500 for 25-50 bhp (safeish) on a std engine, it gets tricker if the engne isnt standard as your getting nearer the limits that the bottom end can take.

eg the 1.4 8v bottom end can take around 160bhp

so if youve got a std 1,4 you could stick 50bhp jets on and be relatively safe.

but its a bit risky lol

and pricey
as dan will no doubt say. yeah only ?500 to get the kist but say you get through a bottle a week or so its around ?20 for a fill

Mark
29-07-03, 06:33 PM
O.k. well the kit fitted to my bike was supplied by Nitrous Oxide Systems(NOS) - the kit fitted to my friends CBR was a Nitrous Express Kit

Fester
29-07-03, 06:35 PM
i was typing out my reply at the same time as you but hit post later :) was in response to original post

Mark
29-07-03, 06:40 PM
Oh, how small do I feel?

Fester
29-07-03, 06:43 PM
stand up tall, put a mark on the wall and find out :lol: :lol:

Mark
29-07-03, 06:46 PM
Thanks, now I've got a headache, stood up tall and hit head on ceiling.

Adam Moran
29-07-03, 06:49 PM
Ok, so NOS is a brand name - gotya.

Now as far as saftey goes, if i mount it in the boot and someone hits me up the arse it "may" be a problem.

However if i get it, i dont have to have a bottle in the car all the time - true? So i could have the bottle in the garage for when i go down the shops but when i go some kind of a show i could bolt the bottle in??

found a motorsport company that do a 5lb bottle and 25bhp jets for ?450ish

Fester
29-07-03, 06:49 PM
damn those doll houses!

back to the nitrous lol

Mark
29-07-03, 06:50 PM
LOL LOUD

Fenix_2k1
29-07-03, 07:38 PM
NOS is a brand name but it gets confusing as it also stands for Nitrous Oxide System ie all the parts neccesary to run Nitrous in your car.

Don't simply go for the cheapest kit out there. Its worth having a look around and don't just go for the shiniest bottle.

All kits are about ?500 these days and no respectable company should give you more than 25bhp jets to start with. There are 2 types of kits being offered by companies at the moment. First the dry kit which just adds extra nitrous into your engine this can give may cause you to end up with a lean running engine while on nitrous as there may not be enough fuel to retain a decent mixture and this could cause engine wear over time. The seond type is the wet kit. This has solenoids for both fuel and nitrous to give you a better mixture in the engine and thus giving the engine a better shelf life.

As others have said nitrous is ok as long as your bottom end is ok. If you add 25 or 50BHP to an already knackered engine you can pretty much guess what will happen down the line.

You may find you need to upgrade some other parts of your engine for smooth running of small shots. IE retard the ignition or change the sparkplugs.

As you say there is no need for the bottle to be in the car at all times although I would say that most safety issues will have been considered by the manufacturers (ps nitrous is not flammable)

I'd recommend going onto the bulletin board on www.noswizard.com this company isn't as well known as the other companies you'll see advertised as they are a british based company but from the research i've done seem to have the best value kit for the money.

Snowface
29-07-03, 08:13 PM
does ur car need to b injection to run N2O?

Fenix_2k1
29-07-03, 08:21 PM
Nope.

I'm looking at running some on twin carbs next year.

Ben (lurk75)
29-07-03, 11:33 PM
NOS has only been a registered trademark recently, hence in the fast and the furious it was every other word, in 2 fast 2 furios it wasnt mentioned once- hmm no royalties.

I have thought about it and not ruled it out yet.

MC/CP built there own kit and fitted it, not sure how it worked :?:

Aragorn
29-07-03, 11:54 PM
also noticed in 2f2f that the cars had "NX" decals which is the logo of nitrous express

obviously had some rift with holley (NOS's parent company) who also own weber if memory serves

locky
30-07-03, 12:01 AM
Surprised no1 has mentioned the "ZEX" nitrous kits! not heard of much, but apparently its a good n2o system!
Also u wont get the power that shows on the fast n the furious, where everything is goin past at lightening speed! im sure u knew that neway!

Ben (lurk75)
30-07-03, 12:15 AM
awww cant you just bolt on 200bhp kit onto your engine without doing any work to accomdate it?

Fenix_2k1
30-07-03, 10:25 AM
Locky from reading the 8 page thread on ZEX kits on the site i mentioned above I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Ben you can bolt it on if you want i just wouldn't ever try to use it :lol: :lol:

Adam Moran
30-07-03, 10:27 AM
This is what ive been looking at:

http://www.zex.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ZX&Category_Code=EAA

Very simple, ok not masive gains but it can be fitted at home 1 sunday afternoon.

As long as you can sorce the bottle and other bits fairly cheaply this is not an expensive kit.

Ad

Fenix_2k1
30-07-03, 11:59 AM
TBH AAJ i'd avoid that system.

For starters its a dry system which means there may not be enough fuel there to keep a decent mixture. The other problem is that with the longer period of time taken for the nitrous to reach the engine + the diameter of the induction pipe a lot of it would have converted to a gas. If you're nitrous oxide arrives at the inlet manifold as a gas it has already lost a lot of its effectiveness.

IE reducing inlet temperatures as it converts to a gas in the inlet manifold and bores.