PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase breather

devonskippy
12-06-12, 12:55 PM
I have been getting a mayo type substance coming up the crankcase breatherhose, which ends up comes out in the air filter. I've cleaned it out but I think it's still coming!

I had the head gasket done recently while the camshaft was replaced (not becausethe head gasket was gone but was best to be done while it was off). There isnothing similar under the oil filler or dipstick. It doesn't appear to be using significant amounts of oil or water.

Can't understand where it's coming from or why?

Engine is a standard 1988 1.3SR. It's generally running OK, other thantiming issues (which I can't fathom!) and an inconsistent idle speed.

Any thoughts before I give up and take it to a garage?

brainsnova
12-06-12, 01:01 PM
It's moisture from the oil, I took the box off that bolted to the back of the block and flushed it out

GDN16v
12-06-12, 01:05 PM
Take it off, clean it out then let it breath into a proper catch tank (or atmosphere) rather than back into the engine! ; )

Iain
12-06-12, 01:06 PM
If the headgasket was done it may have contaminated the oil with some water and this is what you're seeing?

swedge
12-06-12, 02:09 PM
mine done this as well when i took the breather off to change the gasket on it (the breather not the HG)

its uses no water or oil though and dosnt overheat or anything

paul james
12-06-12, 04:59 PM
Mine has always done this too, although since my 1.3 runs on twin 40's its always had the breather pipe run into a catch tank.

devonskippy
13-06-12, 01:14 PM
The fact other people have the same problem makes me feel a bit better, but surely it can't be right?!