PDA

View Full Version : whats this noise???

nova_t
12-06-12, 08:58 AM
Hi all my friend has got a mk 1 nova redtop the problem he has got is when he turns left he gets this mad noise like metal on metal I've managed to find a video on you tube of a nova on the track making the same sort of noise so could you please have a look and let me know what you think thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgV6tllStsE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Alex J
12-06-12, 09:50 AM
sounds like the alternator hitting, but its the wrong side , cv joint maybe?

GRUNT 16V
12-06-12, 10:40 AM
i bet the front gear box mount has moved loosen and push the engine to the drivers side and then retighten the bolt

BRoadGhost
12-06-12, 03:32 PM
Heh, CVs don't make a noise before failing they just do it in my experience. It does sound like the alternator hitting on the chassis from where the noise is coming from and the type of noise is metal on metal.

nova_t
12-06-12, 04:38 PM
yh its defo sounds like metal on metal its when he turns left but the noise is from drivers side

Lee
12-06-12, 04:56 PM
That is 100% tyre scrub

John
12-06-12, 08:45 PM
The noise at 37 secs doesn't sound like tyre noise to me? sounds like the alternator hitting the chassis leg. Post a vid of your mates noise?

MARTIN KELSON
12-06-12, 08:53 PM
That also sounds like tyres catching arches to me

John
12-06-12, 09:04 PM
Is there any evidence a, the osf tyre catching? b, the alternator fouling?

Lee
The noise at 37 secs doesn't sound like tyre noise to me? sounds like the alternator hitting the chassis leg. Post a vid of your mates noise?

Its definitely big time tyre scrub John. Been there many times. This guy in the vid will be absolutely destroying his!

Gibbo
has it got coilovers it may be the balancing weight hitting them or tyres hiting them ? or bottom pully hiting leg

rubachuk
12-06-12, 09:41 PM
Another vote for alternator here. Left turn would throw engine over that way too

Pistol Pete
12-06-12, 09:47 PM
Another vote for alternator here. Left turn would throw engine over that way too

I was listening to the noise when he turned right.

Tyre scrub. 100%

MK999
12-06-12, 09:57 PM
One more vote for tyre scrub and I'll even go one further and say wing too rather than inner arch etc lol

Lee
12-06-12, 10:01 PM
One more vote for tyre scrub and I'll even go one further and say wing too rather than inner arch etc lol

Oh yes. Thats tyre to arch lip without a shadow of a doubt lol

MK999
12-06-12, 10:05 PM
Oh yes. Thats tyre to arch lip without a shadow of a doubt lol

It makes that lovely nommy noise as it chips away at your tyre lol

John
12-06-12, 11:08 PM
Its definitely big time tyre scrub John. Been there many times. This guy in the vid will be absolutely destroying his!

I remember mazz posting a vid when his alt was catching, sounded very similar, thus me basing it on that. Hey what would i know, i've only ever driven on track once! lol

nova_t
14-06-12, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the help took tyre of and there is no sign of it catching but have noticed drivers side engine mount is knackerd and a few fresh marks where alternater could hit so I think its a case of new engine mount and see what happens then thanks

Mazz
14-06-12, 10:35 AM
That One-sqillllion% alternator touching the chassis leg...Listen to mine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6VXONKxpJI&feature=g-upl

I remember mazz posting a vid when his alt was catching, sounded very similar, thus me basing it on that. Hey what would i know, i've only ever driven on track once! lol

Mine sounded exactly the same, in the end in completely destroyed itself!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Nova/CIMG6055Medium.jpg

And a dead lower mount!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Nova/CIMG6058Medium.jpg

Lee
14-06-12, 12:08 PM
Mazz that noise on your vid and the one the OP posted are completely different!

The noise in that oridinal vid is definitely tyre scrub. Just the fact its happening on right turns kind of confirms it as inertia would take the alternator further away from the chassis leg lol

It just happens he posted a vid of a similar noise but it obviously wasn't the same as what his mate was experiencing :)

EDIT Read the description on the OP's original vid lol lol lol

Spudly
14-06-12, 03:57 PM
Only just watched the vid the op posted, that is 199% front tyre to wing contact, sounds just like mine if i hit a bump hard enough on a corner at speed, i think Donna and Mazz thought id missed a gear when i took someone out for a squirt in mine at the national weekend as they heard a loud breif chirp that sounded just like that and they were ragging me for missing a gear, and i was like :wtf: i didnt miss a gear at all lol

Mazz
15-06-12, 12:19 PM
0.54 is alternator, **** knows about the other one!

Plug
15-06-12, 04:03 PM
Mine does it with the f28 it's tyre scrub although I know my drive shafts are hitting the bodywork on major corners,

Driving it to dam low again haha

nova_t
15-06-12, 07:05 PM
well from watching that video its deffenatly not alternator as that noise is completely different i think it maybe tyre scrub thanks

Southie
15-06-12, 07:14 PM
I've had similar noises also due to tyre scrub, it does appear the springs seem pretty soft on that video when on and off the accelerator, also I've had rear scrapage when my rear bushes had gone whilst I had my cav slabs fitted.