PDA

View Full Version : K&N fitting

Kingsleykock
29-07-03, 01:10 PM
what do you do with the big pipe when you have fitted a k&n bolt on?
i know to block off the small one, but where does the big one lead to and does it still need to get some air in? if so, what about drilling the base of the filter?
ta.

Dicko
29-07-03, 01:26 PM
you can mod the filter to take it, or get a piperx breather filter from ripspeed or similar

DO NOT BLOCK IT OFF ;)

Kingsleykock
29-07-03, 02:21 PM
what about just letting it hang loose?
how much do these breather filters cost??
where do i get one?
ta

Dicko
29-07-03, 02:37 PM
there about ?15

other option is to extend the pipe and let it dangle near the bottom of the engine.

you just get a tiny bit of smoke and oil comin out of it, usualy when uv been driving the car hard

Ste_Nova
29-07-03, 04:53 PM
i just chopped mine off where it started

Snowface
29-07-03, 06:57 PM
what about just letting it hang loose?

I've left mine just leaning against the bulkhead for 8-weeks. I really should get a filter put on it though.

redbristolnova
31-07-03, 08:45 PM
It says in the ney HAYNES/MAX POWER nova manual drill a hole in the bottom of the K and N filter and stick it in. Im buying one soon and will do that. :D

If you leave it hanging wont S**T get in it. (I dun no?)

Mark
31-07-03, 09:23 PM
Yes crap will get in, it always best to run things through a filter.

burgo
01-08-03, 06:37 AM
you can get the filters free if u look in the rite plasses :twisted: but i would say shuve it down the back of the engine bay u dont wanna stick it back into the carb filter

Mark
01-08-03, 09:59 AM
Best place for it is back into the carb filter. That's where it went before and that's where it should go after.

Snowface
01-08-03, 06:08 PM
Best place for it is back into the carb filter. That's where it went before and that's where it should go after.

err.. if he has a K&N then it won't have a connector to go into the filter as standard so u will have to buy one.

Mark
01-08-03, 06:40 PM

err.. if he has a K&N then it won't have a connector to go into the filter as standard so u will have to buy one.
That's why K&N sell adapter plates for the side to plug the hose onto, or do what 90% of people do, drill a hole in the bottom and poke the pipe through!

Ste_Nova
01-08-03, 07:08 PM
deffo not into the k&n.... it's dirty air

Mark
01-08-03, 07:17 PM
Have you ever read the instructions that come with a K&N?!?!

Kingsleykock
03-08-03, 10:34 AM
you just get a tiny bit of smoke and oil comin out of it, usualy when uv been driving the car hard
Thanks for the advice lads but there seems to be abit of confusion here. Do i really want oil and smoke going up into the filter? Or is that just a myth? What sort of drill-bit was used to drill the metal body? Did you have to use a spade piece after drilling a pilot hole, or is their another way?
Cheese

DazK
03-08-03, 11:16 AM
yeah .. iv got the same pipe hanging aroung in my engine bay .. i could cut a hole in the K & N .. but .. is it wise? oil and smoke going into the carb? surely not :o

Stuart
03-08-03, 11:46 AM
the breather going back into the airintake is so that the oil vapours can be burnt off in the engine, it was the start of the euro tree huggers saying that you acnt vent oil smoke to the outside without it going via the combustion chamber first.

on a car with near std bits, ie jsut a K&N its gonna mke FA difference. but on a proper highly tuned car its best to leave it venting to the outside world, via a catch tank or jsut through a small filter

Ste_Nova
03-08-03, 12:13 PM
Have you ever read the instructions that come with a K&N?!?!

yup... i've had k&n filters on all my novas (10+)... i also know that the mot emission laws state that you can't dump unfiltered crank case fumes into the air... so k&n are just covering their back

Nova-Boy
04-08-03, 08:24 PM
I got a little breather filter for about ?6 from my local motor factors. Looks like a mini round K&N and i just strapped it up by my dizzy.