PDA

View Full Version : Rear strut brace help.

ABoresta
08-06-12, 03:12 PM
Hi all, I'm at the workshop and thought I'd make a rear strut brace for my nova loon, could anybody please give me some dimensions save me going back and forward :)
Cheers
Alex

mowgli
08-06-12, 07:00 PM
i can save you a ton of trouble... it will not actually do anything, so don't bother. the extra metal in the rear end of a saloon will make it stronger than a hatch.

gearbox90
08-06-12, 10:14 PM
Am i beeing a bit thick ( as normal) , but i really do fail to see how a rear strut brace works on the rear of any nova . Can people who have fitted then notice any difference at all ?

Jon_nova1
08-06-12, 10:55 PM
My front end breaks traction before my rear....

mowgli
09-06-12, 07:39 AM
My front end breaks traction before my rear....

thats just what novas do, its called understeer

back to the question. on the rear end, the most stress goes thru the rear beam mounts & the springs. the dampers take a little, but it is all vertical loading, as they go up & down. fitting some round bar with angle iron ends onto the damper tops has a negative effect, as it stops the slight sideways movement that the rubber top bushes give it.

if you converted the rear end to coilover units & fitted a decent rear cage, then triangulated the strut tops into it, in an x frame, then a rear brace would be some good. the bolt in aftermarket one is basically a thing that looks like it does something, but it doesn't. some people swear blind its the best thing they've ever fitted to their car, but i thinnk its most likely the placebo effect.