PDA

View Full Version : XE Water Temp Question

MARTIN KELSON
05-06-12, 11:05 AM
Morning,

What is the water operating temperature of a 2.0XE?
I persume its similar to most modern engines of 90degrees.

My XE on the dash reading never (unless stationary) goes above about mid 60's

Never really thought much of it until reading something last night & i suppose if that temp is correct them my MBE management for Throttle Bodies may still be in cold engine mode, not good!

What i was going to try later was getting the car to temp & sticking a thermometer (Mrs food hygeine thermometer!!!) in my header tank to see if the reading on thermometer is close to that of the dash.
Will there in normal operating be much difference in the two water temps at thermostat & at header tank?

If the 60 degree reading turns out correct any idea what problem may be? Thermostat maybe?

Martin

MARTIN KELSON
05-06-12, 01:04 PM
Just took it out.
It's not a warm day here & water temp on dash was struggling to get past 50 degrees.
Left it to tick over & can reach 90.
Stuck a thermometer in header tank & water temp was pretty well matching what dash was saying.

So what's the problem?
Engine problems aren't my bag so any help appreciated.

Thermostat stuck open maybe?

Martin

Iain
05-06-12, 01:10 PM
I'd try a new thermostat yeah, when that got stuck open in my old 1.6 it'd get up to temperature standing still but the faster you drove it the cooler it went.

Nice and easy to change in an XE so worth a go!

John
05-06-12, 01:15 PM
Another vote for stat.

Dave.
05-06-12, 03:53 PM
Mine never goes past 90, takes forever to get upto temperature when stationary too, im going to try a new Thermostat and fan switch, cant be much more :thumb:

MARTIN KELSON
05-06-12, 05:48 PM
Removed the stat earlier & brought it home for the 'Haynes' test.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/NOVAMARTIN16V/P1010930.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/NOVAMARTIN16V/P1010931.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/NOVAMARTIN16V/P1010932.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/NOVAMARTIN16V/P1010935.jpg

Its clearly opening when hot.

In the last pic of it back cold, it never fully closes, is this correct?

I will replace it anyway but now not conviced its the source of my problem.

Graeme
05-06-12, 06:07 PM
Vauxhall 82 degree one here for a tenner if any use to anyone brand new in the packet

MARTIN KELSON
05-06-12, 06:10 PM
Want a standard 92/107 one i think.

Cheers anyway Graeme

Adam
05-06-12, 07:18 PM
Pretty sure whenever ive fitted a new stat its been fully closed, they dont start opening till 80/90deg which is obviously way above air temperature.

Its worth fitting a new one now its out, for what they cost.

Dont bother with these "on the continent" 82 stats, it should be running a uk 90/92deg stat.

MARTIN KELSON
05-06-12, 07:25 PM
Not planning Adam on not replacing it, as its out i will be treating it to a new one & see how we go.

If this doesnt work then not sure what to look at next.

Fingers crossed then eh :)

mowgli
05-06-12, 08:08 PM
the 82 deg one is just a standerd gm 1.7 diesel one....

MARTIN KELSON
06-06-12, 08:47 PM
SORTED :)

New thermostat fitted and it happily sat at about 80 degrees.
Not sure at what temp a fan should kick in. Adjusted mine to come in at about 103degrees. Is that about right?

Parked back in garage & grease all over drivers side wheel, looks like outer CV boot has gone :(
Fix one thing and another breaks!! Never done a CV boot before. May be time to learn!

Adam
06-06-12, 09:06 PM
Should be fine with the fan coming on around that.
Usually come on about 100 and off at 95ish.

Cv boot is an easy job, but a VERY messy one lol

MARTIN KELSON
06-06-12, 09:12 PM
Should be fine with the fan coming on around that.
Usually come on about 100 and off at 95ish.

Cv boot is an easy job, but a VERY messy one lol

Everything is easy when you know how!

Read the 'how to' in articles & looks easy enough but its just one of those things ive never done!

Come do mine then Adam if your bored!!! :)

Adam
06-06-12, 09:21 PM
lol

If you fit a proper boot then the hardest bit is cleaning all the grease out the joint, then spreading the circlip and tapping the joint off the shaft.

You can get a stretchy boot that means you dont have to remove the cv off the shaft.

John
06-06-12, 09:24 PM
I'd fit a genuine boot if poss, last longer and fit better than the stretchy type. :)

MARTIN KELSON
06-06-12, 09:29 PM
I'd fit a genuine boot if poss, last longer and fit better than the stretchy type. :)

Yea I / We / They will fit a 'proper' boot! :)

Should have jacked it up & had a look at it really, but after burning my arm on a rather hot exhaust manifold to adjust my fan cut in switch i wanted to cover it up & go home. Got a great burn blister on my arm now :(

John
06-06-12, 09:31 PM
owwww! lol iirc the boots are still available from vauxhall for the big cv's (do you have big outer cv's Martin?) but you need a pair or big clip pliers to crimp the clip up.

Adam
06-06-12, 09:33 PM
Double cable ties on each end have never failed me, or even a big jubilee clip